Removing the steering wheel

JDC5

Charged DC5
Hi all

Just need a step by step guide on how this is done please..

I mean I'm more worried about the airbag deploying so any help would be greatly appreciated ... Anyway to disabling the airbag?

Thanks all

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Here you go...

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2484761

Everyone leaves it a different amount of time between disconnectiong the battery and unplugging the aibag, some dont even wait, i would imagine 10 minutes is enough but tbh honest if you start with disconnecting the battery it will have been a good 20 minutes before you're ready to unplug the airbag.

Also once the big nut is removed you will have to hit and shake the crap out of the steering wheel before it pops off (im not joking, you're neighbours will think you're unusually upset wih the car lol), try not to hit yourself in the face with it as it come off. Its all more than doable by yourself but much easier if someone can hold the steering wheel in place while you undo/re-tighten the nut.

Hope that helps :)

Brophy

Advanced Member
Lol second above I had to remove mine to fit my custom one...

Undo the big centre nut but leave it on a few threads as when I finally comes off you'll hurt yourself lol

As max said you have really shake and wrestle with it to get it off haha

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I had a fight with mine like was fun but agree I've watched so many people smash there faces with it due to not listening to me when I've said don't undo that but all the way ;)

Gordon

JDC5

Charged DC5
Thank you all for the advice! And sharing your experiences you all had already with this.

Sounds like I will be having a lot of fun trying to wrestle the wheel off!

Will give an update once I have completed this

👍👍👍👍

Rom

Advanced Member
Official time is 'at least 3 minutes'

Follow that and you cant go wrong. But in general, airbags are quite safe to work on. In over 12 years, ive only ever set one car off, and that was because of a faulty ecu. Depending what im doing, i dont always disconnect battery.

As said, for the wheel, leave the nut on a few threads. And dont be scared to damage anything, wrassle like a mad man :)

mike.williams

Advanced Member
i had to make up a puller to get the wheel off, stupidly fully removed the nut. i tightened up the puller and stopped. i was thinking to myself its never coming off.

next second POW!!!! the wheel nearly bust my nose haha. just skimmed it

Brophy

Advanced Member
Well if were showing off wheels also here's what I replaced my oem one with..

custom carbon topped