Repair carbon fibre

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if / who can repair damaged CF bonnets by way of large stone chips as opposed to cracks or fractures?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
well , im assuming normal cosmetic wet lay carbon not pre-preg/dry carbon, it depends if the carbon weave itself is damaged, if its just the gelcoat it can be sanded back and laquered. if the gelcoat is good on the rest of the bonnet and you just want to do some stone chips, you can mix some clear laquer with a tiny bit of black paint it will make a milky grey colour, fill this into the chip with a small brush, it dries transparent grey and covers carbon chips a dream.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I'll get some pics up Si, it's quite bad :/ see what you think but your suggestion sounds worth a shot!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I just had my carbon fibre spoiler repaired by a company called Carbonology. The mold was splitting back into its two halves. Repair looks seamless and they also fixed a clouding issue in the resin that was used by the manufacturer. Would definitely recommend their work.

I don't know if they will just do stone chips as they seem to work more with actual damage at the carbon fibre layer, worth a query though.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
How much did that cost out of interest Kyle, I damaged my Mugen wing and looking to get it repaired and re-lacquered.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Just been quoted estimate of 400 to redo clear coat on entire bonnet. Think ill attempt a repair first :p

kyle'87

Advanced Member
BenLAST said:
How much did that cost out of interest Kyle, I damaged my Mugen wing and looking to get it repaired and re-lacquered.
Set me back £180 but the spoiler was in a pretty sorry state to be honest. I will get some before and after pictures so you can see the work. I didn't ask to get it lacquered as he said any decent body shop would do a far better job than him (i assume his skills are in Carbon fibre repair) as well as I want to get a body shop to paint the end plates champ white.

The actual work consisted of making the spoiler structurally sound and also applying new arcylic which should last much longer than the manufacturers stuff as well as courier it back to me.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Woah that seems quite excessive for a bonnet? or am I wrong?

My spoiler was going to be sanded, polished and re-coated for between 60-100 by a local guy, but since dropping something on the spoiler in storage it needs a bit of repair now as well :(

Chewy

Advanced Member
BenLAST said:
Woah that seems quite excessive for a bonnet? or am I wrong?

My spoiler was going to be sanded, polished and re-coated for between 60-100 by a local guy, but since dropping something on the spoiler in storage it needs a bit of repair now as well :(
If it's an OEM style Carbon spoiler, HC racing spoilers new are around £250 from BuddyClub UK (SPD)...

If you're dealing in Carbon it's never going to be cheap, buy or repairing :(

*Hope you all get it sorted with out too much hassle/money.

Chris-141

Advanced Member
£400 isn't a bad price to fully refurbish a bonnet, considering lacquer takes up a large chunk of the cost.

I know I was charging around £250 to refurb Evo spoilers back to new, removing the yellowing/clouding etc then re coating in new epoxy resin and lacquering. Really only refurb stuff off Ferrari/Porsche etc as the cost of refurbing most stuff for evo/dc5 etc is nearly as much a new part when being refurbed properly that will last years instead of a few months.

If it's only a few stone chips and you want to do it yourself sand it right back, touch small drops of epoxy into the chips then sand flat and re lacquer. If you really want to sand to bare carbon again, re resin the full bonnet then re lacquer it. Do not use polyester resin it turns yellow very quickly and most Chinese stuff that's mass produced is made from that which is why you get stuff turning yellow/green.

https://www.facebook.com/CR-Carbon-1155784041102221/

tico_87

Advanced Member
Chris-141 said:
£400 isn't a bad price to fully refurbish a bonnet, considering lacquer takes up a large chunk of the cost.

I know I was charging around £250 to refurb Evo spoilers back to new, removing the yellowing/clouding etc then re coating in new epoxy resin and lacquering. Really only refurb stuff off Ferrari/Porsche etc as the cost of refurbing most stuff for evo/dc5 etc is nearly as much a new part when being refurbed properly that will last years instead of a few months.

If it's only a few stone chips and you want to do it yourself sand it right back, touch small drops of epoxy into the chips then sand flat and re lacquer. If you really want to sand to bare carbon again, re resin the full bonnet then re lacquer it. Do not use polyester resin it turns yellow very quickly and most Chinese stuff that's mass produced is made from that which is why you get stuff turning yellow/green.

https://www.facebook.com/CR-Carbon-1155784041102221/
PM'd via facebook :)