Replacement Cat on Mugen exhaust manifold

turbo5

Advanced Member
I thought I would share this for people with similar problems in the future.
My facelift DC5 failed it's MOT on Friday on emissions , The car is modified with a Kpro, different inlet manifold and also running the mugen race header and race cat. It had passed the MOT on emissions every year since it was fitted about 2006 and I bought it 2nd hand. Last year the MOT centre had to really thrash the car to get it to pass. (they work better hot) This year it wouldn't pass no matter how much it was thrashed.
The problem is you can't just fit the OEM cat as the header is much longer and there isn't any room to fit it. I tried Mugen and they no longer make them and they don't sell replacement Cats .
My options were take it back to standard with original exhaust manifold and cat. this would have effected my Kpro mapping so would have needed remapping. So even if I took it back to standard and then refitted after the test I would have had this burden every year.
My other option was find a jap import/modified friendly test centre (I was offered a few) but again this doesn't fix the issue.
Third option try and get one manufactured. After seraching the internet and RX forums in America a few people running this header had similar problems but I never found enough information to copy the fix. There are lots of different shape and spec cats out there, my problem was length it had to be less than 320mm the other issue was it had a 30 degree angle at one end. So the only option was to find one and get it modified. (also you need a 200 CEL to pass an MOT 100CEL full race wouldn't normallly pass.
I managed to find a company called Eurosport exhausts in Lytham St Annes (near Blackpool) the guy to ask for is the owner Simon. made a fantastic job of it and also the company makes custom exhausts and MOT' s (although I got my MOT passed at the Honda main dealer who had failed it because it was within the 10 days)
The cost of the euro 4 spec 200 CEL cat and fitted the pre and post cat lambo sensers was surprising a lot less than I imaged. a few hundred which is better than teh $2800 for a new mugen header and race cat if you can find one.

Attachments

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Lovely write up.

I also run a Mugen manifold and if mines fails there is no doubt in my mind I would never try to replace with the same unit due to cost.

Great to see you‘ve overcome the problem and set my mind in the right direction for the future

Altecians

Advanced Member
Im on the Mugen manifold as well, glad you found a proper fix to this with a " euro 4 spec 200 CEL cat " .
Will be looking at getting one retro fitted in the near future.

Would be curious to see if there was any loss in power or flow.

turbo5

Advanced Member
Haven't noticed any difference to be honest, infact it feels a litte better.