Replacement key for a Facelift model

Iso

Hi,

Sorry all I can find everywhere is information for the PFL, not the FL.

Basically my car is a facelift model which came with one key with an immobiliser chip and remote central locking, which makes me understandably nervous if that key goes missing, so I want a spare. I'd imagine if I didn't mind foregoing remote central locking I can get a replacement key with an immobiliser chip, but ideally I'd like it to have the same functionality as the existing key, so I want remote central locking fob as well.

I've asked at Honda and they want £232 just to supply the key, and then I have to pay to get it programmed, and cut on top. My experience with these things though is that normally it's cheaper to get a replacement key elsewhere, get it cut at a decent locksmith, and program it yourself. In some case you can even get away with getting a S/H key off a breaker, whip out the electronics module inside reprogram it for your car and put it inside a replacement case with an uncut keyblade.

Unfortunately here I'm hitting a brick wall, due to the rarity of the car over here, finding a direct replacement key is proving impossible... however experience has also taught me that often other cars by the same manufacturer use the same key or at very least the same internal internals even if the fob is externally different. What I can't find is anything definitive about which cars if any use the exact same fob as the DC5, my guess is I may be able to use a key from an EP3 or FN2 but is anyone able to confirm?

I'm hoping maybe one of you guys has run into this situation before yourselves and can tell me what my best options are, and let me know if there is a cheaper alternative to getting buttraped by the main dealer.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
My spare key for my fl is just a normal one doesn't have a fob built in.

Do you have a aftermarket alarm installed?

Phil r type

Advanced Member
id like to know about this to ? my fob is the same as the one in the link and id like another ? can you buy the fob then get a chip so it works with your car ???

Iso

Most locksmiths can clone and supply the immobiliser chip, that will actually start the car.

The issue is getting a replacement two button remote, since that they can't supply (unless going direct through honda).

Well I've just taken a punt on these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-2-BUTTON-REMOTE-CAR-KEYS-X-2-/131874996459?hash=item1eb45cc0eb:g:dMkAAOSwAPlXhAI4

Lets see if I can get the buttons locking and unlocking my car, and if I can then I just purchase a replacement shell, with an uncut keyblade, get the blade cut and the jobs a good'un.

Iso

Badly.

Neither key worked.

I'll pull them apart later and play spot the difference and go from there.

ferret

I priced getting one from honda and it worked out too expensive so I just have a normal key without the central locking buttons as I have an aftermarket alarm and use this to open the car

loud945

like OP I just want a second key as backup, I cannot find any other posts on this..

I spoke to my local honda dealership (St Albans) and they told me they simply cannot cut me a second key.
A blank would cost £232 (as OP said), but they seemed unable to obtain the immobiliser information (for imports).

Has anyone been able to successfully get a second key cut for a FL? Surely someone has lost a key at some point?!