Replacing brake fluid with DOT 5.1

celox performance

Advanced Member
I've seen some DOT 5.1 fully synthetic racing brake fluid which I want to replace with my existing DOT 5 fluid.

I don't know whether this is true or not so that's why i'm asking, if I use this racing fluid then it needs to be replaced once a year because it can turn watery? Also i've heard that I would need to make sure that the existing DOT 5 i've got in now would need to be fully flushed out of the braking system and is quite a complex thing to do :?

If it's going to be a nightmare to do then what would be the best alternative fluid to use?

rick c

Advanced Member
Bloody hell its expensive though!

I've never boiled DOT 5.1 brake fluid changed at every service but then again I never do more than about 15 minutes on track without coming off and letting everything cool down a bit

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
The SRF is so worth it, I have boiled all the others oil but not this.

I think Opie is having a special offer going on at the moment so I think if you call them and you should able to get it for abit less.

daaan100

AP 600 is rather good too. Think I paid about £15 per 1/2 litre. You'll never boil that stuff

rick c

Advanced Member
Differences:

DOT 5.1 Dry: 260°C Wet: 180°C
AP Racing 600 Dry: 310°C Wet: 210°C
Castrol SRF Dry: 310°C Wet: 270°C

Major difference with the SRF is that even when wet (i.e. 3% water) it still has a much higher braking points than most other fluids.

Paul G

Members
I use SRF in mine....But i'm sure that's over kill for most :idea:

And you do have to bleed it about every 2/3 days on track to keep a nice feel to the brakes.

You could also try Castrol response? - Compatible with other fluids.

Paul.

qamvti

Advanced Member
What’s best for general hard road use, not track days as most of you lot seem to do, 5.1 or normal dot 3 Honda stuff. If its 5.1 what brand that will not need changing to often don’t really want to change it every year.
Cheers

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
castrol or brembo rcf600 stuff for me, TGM uses Brembo fluid, its not that expensive either

hussain124

Advanced Member
i got my car serviced from unit 8 last april they used AP RACING dot 5.1 brake fluid and i never do any track days so that should be fine yes?