Replacing front pads and Caliper adjustment.

Zen1

Advanced Member
Annoyed with myself as I tried to replace my front pads and failed.

Read the tutorials and got as far as removing the pins and retaining clip but neither pad would slide
out or be tempted my a tap here and there. :roll:

I'm unsure what i need to do to loosen the calipers so that i can slide out the pads.
Are there 2 standard bolts to undo as i couldnt see them, only 4x what appeared to be large torx type bolts ? :-k

EndaITR

Advanced Member
Turn the steering wheel so the pads come out towards you.

Is there a Lip on the disc? you have to try push the pistons back into the calliper by pushing on the pads..you could try gettin a screwdriver in between the disc and pad then pushing...should move back in handy enough..have you taking the cap of the brake reservoir?

Zen1

Advanced Member
Yeah, took the cap of the brake reservoir but they just wouldnt budge. Saying that, I never tried to push in the pistons
so maybe theyre the problem ?

I'd read that if the pads are tight you could loosen the caliper enough to give them more slack.

Probably I just need to be a bit more forceful but as I've never changed pads myself its unknown terrritory
and I'm afraid i'll do some damage.

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
This is something i may need to do in the not too distant future. Would be good to get some pictures of the whole thing perhaps? :xkiss:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
with both pads in place , put an impliment between the disc and pad with some decent leverage the pad should move back and come loose, at this point DO NOT REMOVE the pad first looses the other one.

once the pads are removed you can push the pistons back, normally by hand or again using a prying tool, being careful to not damage the seals. and bear in mind while pushing one back one might of the others might push back out.

I would however suggest that if you cant comfortably change the front brake pads you should let someone else do it, getting the brakes wrong or damaging something or incorrect fitting could cause injury or death.

Zen1

Advanced Member
I managed to free up outermost pad and then push the 2 pistons in quite easily with the
method you described. This one can now be easily removed and replaced.

The inner pad however, i cannot free up enough to slide out as I think there is a small lip restricting movement out.
The pistons seem very hard to push in but think if i could do this then I could get the pad out.

Fair comment on safety but the Brembo Kit does include everything inc grease, pads, shims and full instructions.
It should be very easy but I'm struggling on something that should be straightforward. #-o
I'm gonna have one more go with G-clamps on the inner pad and if it doesnt budge I'll book in to Tdi North for a nearly
due full service and pad change.

Zen1

Advanced Member
Replaced the passenger side front pads really easily as both pads just slid out simples after pistons
were pushed in. =D>

Original problem I had with driver side was that the inside pad had been hammered in and was really tight to get out.
I know this as even after I cleaned the housing the pad fits into out my new oem brembo was just too tight to slide in by hand. I decided to file
0.5 mm off the top edge of the pad to enable the pad to be pushed in easily

All tested and happy now 8)
Just thought i'd share as others may encounter the same problems.