Replacing HID Bulbs

gaza4

Advanced Member
had a look through this section but couldnt find anything, anyone got a decent guide on how to replace the factory HID bulbs???

also are the d2r bulbs from Halfords any use/well priced??? Never had factory HIDs before...

p1tse

Advanced Member
Can't really help
I'm pretty sure if you searched headlight you might find something

But I believe its a bumper off job, which is suppose to be relatively straight forward. But again I've not done it myself

Hobs

Ya its a bumper off and a head lights out job.
You will also need a torx head to open the covers on the back of the head lights, to get into the D2R bulb.

I did mine recently its quite easy to do.

I'm looking to import a teg type r DC5 from japan any tips you can give me? And I've noticed there's a push start ignition button in a few of the models is that standard to all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys not long now till my dc5 2001 gets into the country, Id love to know what I can do in terms of enhancing bhp/acceleration without digging too deep into the bank account.... Any ideas lads?

gaza4

Advanced Member
kyle.greenway_87 said:
Guys not long now till my dc5 2001 gets into the country, Id love to know what I can do in terms of enhancing bhp/acceleration without digging too deep into the bank account.... Any ideas lads?

have a read through some of the more specific forum sections and see whats there, Intake and exhaust are a good place to start with mods.

start a new thread in another section too, you'll get better feedback there.

CL1_EuroR

Good Evening,

It is not a bumper off job (much to my embarrassment as I advised my mechanic it was going on posts that I read on here). He laughed at me and he proceeded to remove the old bulbs and fit the 2 Phillips Xtreme Vision in about 10 mins. Only thing he moved was the washer bottle, he slid that off the mount.

He was replacing the aux belt after this and as he removed the belt from the OEM plastic, he smirked.. "I presume this is an engine out job" haha

I wont open my mouth in future :xcross:

Jvzr

Advanced Member
CL1_EuroR said:
Good Evening,

It is not a bumper off job (much to my embarrassment as I advised my mechanic it was going on posts that I read on here). He laughed at me and he proceeded to remove the old bulbs and fit the 2 Phillips Xtreme Vision in about 10 mins. Only thing he moved was the washer bottle, he slid that off the mount.

He was replacing the aux belt after this and as he removed the belt from the OEM plastic, he smirked.. "I presume this is an engine out job" haha

tried that myself and couldnt get my fat hands any where near a good enough fit to remove em, Dreading taking off the bumper.
The facelift Ballasts are alot smaller so that might help

CL1_EuroR

Jvzr said:
tried that myself and couldnt get my fat hands any where near a good enough fit to remove em, Dreading taking off the bumper.
The facelift Ballasts are alot smaller so that might help
Haha, aye, I tried too with no luck, but the lad had no bother getting in their and getting the job done. His hands are probably bigger than mine too!

To be fair hes a great mechanic, probably done it a few times before, hes big into his cars etc.

jay.dee

Advanced Member
CL1_EuroR said:
Good Evening,

If your mech was able to replace easily, he likely replaced the inner bulbs which are relatively easy to get to, which are H1 for the high beams. If the Philips' were that bulb size they wouldn't be used in the HID part of the bulb (but see my last paragraph)

I assure you the HID's (the largest light in the lamp housing) cannot be done in 10 mins! As these are beneath the metal slam panel and wings at the front and there is very little working space in those deep and dark corners of the engine bay. Good thing they have a 10 year or so working life then.

More confusingly you can have all halogen lamp clusters as well, or that the HID's were converted to halogen for SVA during the import process and left in afterwards, but these are less likely and the space to work in would still be an issue even if the HID covers were already off.

jown

Advanced Member
The Equalizer said:
If your mech was able to replace easily, he likely replaced the inner bulbs which are relatively easy to get to, which are H1 for the high beams. If the Philips' were that bulb size they wouldn't be used in the HID part of the bulb (but see my last paragraph)

I assure you the HID's (the largest light in the lamp housing) cannot be done in 10 mins! As these are beneath the metal slam panel and wings at the front and there is very little working space in those deep and dark corners of the engine bay. Good thing they have a 10 year or so working life then.

More confusingly you can have all halogen lamp clusters as well, or that the HID's were converted to halogen for SVA during the import process and left in afterwards, but these are less likely and the space to work in would still be an issue even if the HID covers were already off.
Sorry to bring back a dead post.. but this info above helped me.. couldnt find much on the forum regarding changing bulbs without removing the bumper

I managed it without removing the bumper as above (y)

Teggs

You will also need a torx head to open the covers on the back of the head lights, to get into the D2R bulb
I've had 2 attempts at this now, not just changing the bulbs, but the full headlamps, which obviously needs a bulb swap over, I'm pretty much a newbie to this, and after 7-8hours most of my problems were caused by not having the right tools.

I will endevour to post a proper write up when I try again for the 3rd time, I watched this vid, which was very useful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFe4Fri1UWE

Thanks Adam, it appears that I am a dummy of the lower orders and I believe that the holding screw on the back of the HID headlamp is a Torx, but a SECURITY Torx, I bought the following from screwfix and will try again...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-security-screwdriver-bit-set-32-pieces/1445h

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Sorry for the old thread resurrection. I thought my dipped headlights where a bit weak compared to other cars on the road so just changed all of my bulb. Only took 40 mins, no bumper off required. After changing them though I noticed that the dipped beam only looked like it was only filling half of the reflector. So I swapped back to the old bulbs and they are the same. Anyone else noticed this or is it just me? I was doing it blind but I'm pretty sure looking at the key, and feeling around, that the bulb only goes in one way up.

wocka

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Sorry for the old thread resurrection. I thought my dipped headlights where a bit weak compared to other cars on the road so just changed all of my bulb. Only took 40 mins, no bumper off required. After changing them though I noticed that the dipped beam only looked like it was only filling half of the reflector. So I swapped back to the old bulbs and they are the same. Anyone else noticed this or is it just me? I was doing it blind but I'm pretty sure looking at the key, and feeling around, that the bulb only goes in one way up.
Yes bulb only goes in one way, fair play for doing it with the bumper on

Can you get any pics of what you mean with the light? I will have a look at mine later today and see how they look for you

Crackfox

Advanced Member
wocka said:
Yes bulb only goes in one way, fair play for doing it with the bumper on

Can you get any pics of what you mean with the light? I will have a look at mine later today and see how they look for you

I tried to take a picture but it's just white out on the phone. Might just he an illusion, but when I look at it it's like the light is only coming through the top half of the glass. I'll try a photo during the day, the camera might handle it better.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk