Resprays

antisanta

Advanced Member
Hi guys, looking for some opinions.

I've managed to scratch both the doors on the dcv so I've been getting some quotes on getting it repaired. I want it done properly so just a 'touch up' is out of the question. Gonna be looking at both sides being resprayed with blending etc so it doesn't look shit.

As you can imagine, it's not a cheap do. Been quoted around £800 at a place near me, up to £1500 at a place where my mate works in Wigan. So a few mates have said, if you're getting the sides done you may as well get a full colour change. I'd been thinking of this as well, however I doubt I'd keep it white if I opted for a full respray. So this begs the question, does having the car resprayed a none-OEM colour loose the cars value, increase it or keep it the same? Obviously some people are gonna want an OEM fresh one, which mine was/is, but painting the sides is gonna ruin that anyway, but I can imagine some colours, like Yellow etc would be in demand.

Also what do you think of wraps? Theres a place local to me, APM customs that are pretty shit hot at it.

Pics of the damage for reference..

Doesn't look that bad from the pics, its not that bad in reality tbh but I know its there and its annoying.

Id be interested to hear your thoughts. I don't plan on selling it but things happen..

Chewy

Advanced Member
alan-lee said:
Just paid £1500 for full spray
Out of interest, If that in the same colour (Just external) or was that change of colour including door shuts, engine bay...etc?

alan-lee

Advanced Member
No mate that was same colour but full respray, windows out etc but not engine bay

Was a lot of work done to j's racing fenders also since they are absolutely terrible condition from factory

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey man,

As you're in the North West I can recommend a place in North Wales near Hawarden Airport. His name is Anto Miotti, he works from his dad's car business used to have a DC5 himself.

He did a fair bit of work on mine 2 years ago including full front bumper re-spray and pretty much the entire drivers side re-srpayed and refurbuished my wheels and his work is excellent, he's sound too and won't rip you off.

If you want his number PM me or you can have a look at his work on their FB page. There should be picture of my blue Teg on there somewhere. He's also done work for Coyote (Dan) and Mike Williams can vouch for him.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Italian-job-alloy-wheel-repairs-and-body-shop-1429006163985592/timeline/

antisanta

Advanced Member
Hi mate, my Dads been taking the teg out over the last week to get some quotes and JM autos, or the Italian Job is one of the places he took it to after I spoke with Dan and Mike. They just said he can paint the doors for £375, said nothing about blending it in with the other panels etc. Even I know you can't just paint a door side to side and expect to look decent :/

Place I'm likely to take it called AA-Automotive on Sandycroft.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
antisanta said:
Hi mate, my Dads been taking the teg out over the last week to get some quotes and JM autos, or the Italian Job is one of the places he took it to after I spoke with Dan and Mike. They just said he can paint the doors for £375, said nothing about blending it in with the other panels etc. Even I know you can't just paint a door side to side and expect to look decent :/

Place I'm likely to take it called AA-Automotive on Sandycroft.
Hey man,

Not sure whether it was Anto or his dad you may have spoke to perhaps as AFAIK it's Anto that does the bodywork on his own from JM Autos which is his dad's place.

He definitely blended mine in. I'd been and had a quote from a place locally, he wanted around the same price as what Anto had quoted me and he mentioned nothing about blending the paint in, until speaking to Anto it wasn't something I was aware of.

I had damaged right down the middle of the drivers' side door and the other half of the car so Anto went on to explain that you can just repair where it's damaged as it goes over two panels, also it has to be blended in and paint matched as it's an old car so it would like silly with fresh looking new paint.

No worries anyway - you go with the best one you're happy with dude! :)

antisanta

Advanced Member
Well thats interesting, thats what the guys at AA automotive said to me, cause JM autos just said they'll paint the doors. My old man said they didn't seem very interested either, where as AA automotive had all the lads outside looking at her admiring its paint! They then said its a shame to paint it, which made me feel sad for ruining the door lol :(

I'll try an get in touch with Anto then. Considering a full respray tbh.. Even if both sides are done, its gonna be different ever so slightly to the front, back and roof and that'll do my head in.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Sounds a bit weird, another company commenting on a competitor like that but I guess it's a cutthroat business. lol

Yeah, try and speak to Anto and see what he says. If he paint matches it shouldn't look any different chief so I really wouldn't worry. With mine you could tell it had been done but not to the extent that it was one darker, newer shade of blue over another, he'd blended and paint matched it really well.

Are you going to go for a full respray?

antisanta

Advanced Member
Ah, sorry. AA automotive didn't comment on another companies work. The car had gone to AA automotive first, and it had been mentioned that with the damage that I caused, unless I want it to look gash, just painting the door is out of the question. So when the car went to JM Autos and they suggested just painting the doors, my mind was kinda made up.

Being able to tell it had been done is enough to urine me off haha. I wasn't planning on a respray at first but for the price of getting both sides done I'm considering it yeah pal. Candy Red is my colour of choice at the mo, bit different as all tegs look the same ;) haha.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ah right, my bad! AA Automotive sound like what they're telling you is correct if that's the case.

A respray would be expensive but up to you I guess. I love Lamborghini Grigio Telesto Grey as a colour, looks amazing on an Integra especially when you have the red H badge as a contrast.

Here's a clip of a race spec NSX in a similar colour, there's also a few photos of a DC5 in a similar colour - it's almost like a Battleship Grey. Can't imagine what Candy Red is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB2-L7hyGKo

Erm

Advanced Member
A candy paint job will be more expensive and you'd need someone good at their job to get it done right, and it won't last as long as a standard paint job before it begins to start fading from UV exposure.

That said a Candy paint job that is done right will look gorgeous.

antisanta

Advanced Member
Thanks for the comments lads. After some deliberation I've come to the conclusion that getting both sides painted or even a respray for the sake of two small-ish scuffs is a bit OTT. The paints in really good condition other than that so doesn't really need it. So I treated myself to some RPF1s instead ^_^.

Gonna get ChipsAway to do a smart repair on the one side and get my detailer mate to work his magic on the otherside, if nothing else but to make it a bit less noticeable for the time being.