Retainers

VooDoo

Advanced Member
What retainers would people recommend to use with Toda A2 cams and Toda springs?

I dont want to use Skunk2 retainers as my mates engine blew up due to a set of them failing, this may very well just be down to bad luck but Id fell like an idiot if I bought them and the same happened.

I've seen blueprint retainers but they also come with springs.
Does anyone have any experience with these?

Another option was to source a set of brian crower retainers

Cheers

James

Rob R

Advanced Member
Why not get TODA retainers? They would of been designed to work in perfect harmony with the cams and springs you have?

eXceed

Resident Driver
I'm using supertech retainers, the titanium ones. Quality is top notch!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i would use the same brand as my valve springs as you are assured a perfect fit.

VooDoo

Advanced Member
I'll have a look into supertech retainers, cheers :)

I would love to get toda retainers but I cant find them, thats why I've put the thread up. They are on the toda europe website but there's no picture of them and have a price of £0.00

http://www.toda-europe.com/catalog/valve-train-c-21_221_228.html

Somehow I don't think toda are that generous but they also dont reply to emails so I can't find out about them.
Does anyone know of anywhere else that stock them?

Cheers

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
Valve train harmonics is pretty important at 9k rpm, I would strongly recommend uning a combo that has been tested by the cam manufacturer, correct poundage & gross lift etc. Also dont mix-n-match either, buy a full set of springs, seats, retainers and collets from one supplier because if something fails... you know what will happen!

VooDoo

Advanced Member
I'll have a word with TDI North and see what they can do about toda retainers.

Otherwise, I think I may be going for Brian Cower springs and retainers.

Cheers guys

EK9turbo

i'd recommend using the Toda retainers as the design of the retainer can affect the bind-height so the retainers form TODA should be used ideally. Blueprint retainers are great quality but use the toda's in this instance.

VooDoo

Advanced Member
Yeah like I say, I wouldn't even have this thread up if I could find toda retainers as its them I want.
I've dropped TDI an email to see if they stock them.

VooDoo

Advanced Member
Well the reply from TDI North was that they dont stock them and that they just use OEM retainers with Toda springs.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
Well the reply from TDI North was that they dont stock them and that they just use OEM retainers with Toda springs.

Anyone have any opinions on this?
Its actually a very good idea, the steel retainers will have a much longer life span that the Ti ones anyway!