Reverse Gear

Livvy

Advanced Member
We are having some problems with our reverse gear, it doesn't happen all the time, but is driving Paul mad.

Sometimes when he goes to select reverse, it's not there, almost like the gate is shut and there is no reverse gear. It will not go in, no crunching or anything.

The only way to get reverse is to turn off car and it's there again, like the gate has been unlocked. :?

Is the part that stops you selecting reverse while driving electrical? and does anybody have any idea where this would be?

Thanks for any help.

It's getting :oops: turning car off in middle of busy street to reverse on to our drive

dan the man

Advanced Member
liv, solenoid into reverse sounds like its playing up.

its locked above 12mph all the time so maybe yours is giving you grief.

and we all know birds cant park anyway..BOOM TISH :!: :lol:

MWA x :oops:

I USE TO HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM FINDING REVERSE WITH MY DC2.I USE TO HAVE TO SELECT 1ST AND LIFT THE CLUTCH UNTIL THE CAR MOVED FORWARD A FRACTION THEN I WAS ABLE TO PUT IT STRAIGHT IN REVERSE.

dan the man

Advanced Member
thats probably just normal box antics eh.. syncros just need a little nudge to get them to slide in to reverse.

And on DC5 it would save weight taking this solenoid out as not needed if your carefull eh :lol:

ITRNETWKZ

re reverse gear

Ive got exactly the same problem on my 2001 DC5. The reverse gear often wont engage from start up. If I nudge it into first, drive forward then try again it works fine. Another way around it is to turn the engine off, dip the clutch and engage reverse, then switch the engine on - I only use this method if I have no room for forward movement.
It never ever happens after any period of driving - only at start up.
I dont plan on investigating as im willing to live with the above workarounds.

G.

j9jrx

Advanced Member
I also get this now and again, just from start up as well. All i do is put it back into neutral take my foot off the clutch then try again, seems to work every time after that. :)

Duncs

i stand to be corrected but i think the first gear and reverse are on the same shaft thats why slipping into first helps

truffs

j9jrx said:
I also get this now and again, just from start up as well. All i do is put it back into neutral take my foot off the clutch then try again, seems to work every time after that. :)
yep same with me when i had mine, had to do the same every now and again. It reminded me a bit of a bike clutch where sometines you have to rock it when you want to select neutral.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
I think DTM could be right...can the reverse selector be taken off and just be careful you don`t select reverse when moving up or down the `box :?: