Reverse Light Switch

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Hi,

Gonna wire up a reversing camera this afternoon and am just looking into the wiring aspect of things.

I have a reverse wire coming out from my stereo which needs to be connected somewhere (Reverse Light switch?) Has anyone done this and can tell me where is a good place to make the connection.

I've has a quick look around the workshop manual but can't find any reference to the reverse light. Do Americans not reverse or something??? I expect they call it something different like their moon roof :xconfused:

Cheers, Matt.

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
i did mine last week. You connect the revers wire from your headunit to your reverse light (the only purpose of this wire is to switch you headunit onto the visual screen when you put the car in reverse)

I connected the power cables for the camera to the ignitiion wires on my headunit (black and red wires) this was so that when i put my key in the ignition the camera has power so that when i am driving i can press the visual button on my headunit and watch the camera (so reverse doesn't have to be connected)

Then all you have to do is connect the yellow phono cable into the headunit and your done. No need for any swicths or anything :D

so just to summarise my camera can come on via the visual button on my stereo or by putting the car in reverse.

here are some pics............

Oh and one last thing.....once all mine was connected and i turned on the ignition the image on the screen was in black and white, i questioned this with the seller on ebay and he assured me that the camera was a colour night vision camera. I eventually figured out that the default visual setting on my headunit was NTSC and not PAL and the camera was a PAL camera, so all i had to do was change the settings to PAL and the image was clearer and in colour :D

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Thanks for the reply. I did think of connecting it up to the reverse light but wondered if there was a wire closer to the front. Not a problem though, i've got plenty of wire :p

Cheers, Matt.

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
i know i thought the same thing, but in the end i just popped off the sill plate and routed a cable down, its quite easy to hide all the cables because all the trim pops off quite easy. You will have to route the yellow phono cable to the headunit anyway. If you have any problems them just shout and i will try and help you out. what camera are you installing? i got a cheapo ebay effort £11, and the quality is suprisingly good!! where you going to mount the camera? i had to take the rear bumper off to install mine :xrealangry: it wasn;t very hard just time consuming haveing to remove my rear wheels so that i could get at the wheel arch screws :roll:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
The reverse switch is on the transmission housing...it feeds from relay No.10 under the dash but I think this is the wrong side of the cicuit you need...

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
It's another cheapy from ebay, but rather than the usual round ones that you fluish mount, this one is on an angle bracket type thing.

I've fitted it but i'm not 100% sure yet, It obscurs the number plate slightly so no doubt i'll get pulled ](*,)

The picture is quite good though, and it has a guide on the screen to to help judge distances, i'll take a couple of photos in a bit.

Matt