Review: Tegiwa ARB DC5

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Hello Carl,

No, I found a post somewhere even the OEM exhaust caught the Tegiwa ARB.

I was under the impression the Progress was a direct fit but going off what Indi has stated I'm guessing it's due to the superior size of an aftermarket ARB.

Bit of a nuisance but as the car is getting more 'focused' I'm guessing these things will happen.
Yeah sounds like a nightmare, will be interesting to see if I have any issues with a progress one (when I buy it), car goes back to TGM on the 16th for just under a month to have some bits done and the MOT so as soon as I get it back I will only be buying AD08R's and then nothing more until after xmas (if I can help it).

Midnight

Advanced Member
Thought I'd update this while the car is at EFI.

Area Motorsport replaced the rose drop links from the Tegiwa ARB to hardrace rear drop links.

Thats cured the main noise we were getting.

While the antiroll bar from tegiwa would suit a pure track / Motorsport car I'm not sure a road going DC5 you could live with the noises / poor fit.

On that note, once correctly fitted with replaced rear drop links the bar itself really helps the rear end grip. This is the 28mm version so was oversized compared to OEM and I think that's why the problems have occurred?

Hope this review helps others when thinking rear anti roll bar kits.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
The fitment problems have occurred because the part hasn't been correctly tested. They know these things get fitted to modified cars, usually with different exhaust systems and ride heights. All they had to do was 1.) make sure the plate/brace fits, 2.) supply adjustable drop links to allow perfect fitment, just like Area have now done. Tegiwa's copied parts should be avoided, for moral reasons and because they're rubbish.

Also.. the mention of the rear end feeling more 'planted' shouldn't be the case. The idea of a stiffer rear axle, be it springs or arb, is to shift more weight towards the front during cornering, giving you more front end.

Midnight

Advanced Member
'Shouldn't / couldn't / wouldnt' I don't proclaim to be Lewis Hamilton just offering a review of a part we have installed. Planted may not be the correct technical term of what can be felt but in truth some people buying this part will also have limited knowledge as myself.

I 'think' the drop links supplied with the kit are adjustable and think that's half the problem. As soon as you start adjusting the rigidity of the link weakens in the middle giving the flex / noise which was hiddious.

I do agree that Tegiwa parts may not 100% fit.
Albeit some aftermarket parts also don't fit like OEM. Not defending Tegiwa parts but it is what it is...

Would I recommend the product to someone, maybe not. Has the part enhanced the handling of the car. I feel so.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Limited knowledge and not understanding are two different things, surely an Einstein like yourself 'should' know this 👍🏼

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
The rear end being more planted, or shifting weight, and it's feel is dependant on many things. Front stiffness, rebounds rates, springs rates, front and rear height, and (probably) most of all driving style..

stiffening the rear arb alone can help with rear end grip feel on a oem car as it will reduce the roll and weight transfer, usually reducing lift off oversteer.

Seems a bit harsh to piss over the review.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Has nobody ever tried to teach you anything? I tried to give you some information regarding the point of the part you've just spent money on. You're reviewing a component you don't understand and giving out incorrect information to people that might want to actually learn about the parts they're fitting to their cars.

"Planted may not be the correct technical term of what can be felt but in truth some people buying this part will also have limited knowledge as myself." That's exactly my point. Example: Somebody wants more front end grip (highly likely in a fwd car). They go in search of ways to achieve this: a stiffer rear arb is a relatively cheap upgrade and a sensible starting point. They then search for DC5 arb's and stumble across a review that you were kind enough to take the effort to create. In this review, the only piece of information regarding the handling/balance aspect of the item is incorrect. This may seem like a long winded way of explaining myself, but your initial brush off of "oh it doesn't matter if it's not correct, I've got limited knowledge and so do some other people" makes me think you didn't understand what I was trying to say in the first place.

"As soon as you start adjusting the rigidity of the link weakens in the middle giving the flex" << This also doesn't make sense. The idea of adjustable links, as far as fitment goes, it to change the orientation of the bar. ie, moving the arms/short bits of the bar up or down. They have other uses, but they're not relevant in this application.

I'm tired and grumpy and could probably be more diplomatic in my approach, but it is what it is. Feel free to sugar coat it however you want, but my point still stand.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Regarding the rigidness of the link, I'd be more than happy to 'teach' you about thread pitch and metals but in truth feel we are going off topic...

However please feel free to offer your own review of ARB's so that people like myself have more information to go from and can make a more informed decision when purchasing such items.

Have a lovely evening, think we should just agree to disagree...

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
stiffening the rear arb alone can help with rear end grip feel on a oem car as it will reduce the roll and weight transfer, usually reducing lift off oversteer.

Seems a bit harsh to urine over the review.
Stiffening the rear arb helps reduce oversteer? are you sure?

It's not my intention to rubbish the whole review, just one very small (but important) part of it. The part that matters the most to me. Personally, I couldn't care less what it looks like, I want it to know how it performs and what it does to the car's balance. Everybody is different, and people use their cars for different purposes, but wrong information is wrong information no matter your opinion.

I didn't come into the thread to be a dick, I actually came into the thread looking for information regarding the spring rate of the bar compared to oem, as I have a Progress bar to go on but want to be able to run close to oem bar rate in wet weather.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Regarding the rigidness of the link, I'd be more than happy to 'teach' you about thread pitch and metals but in truth feel we are going off topic...

However please feel free to offer your own review of ARB's so that people like myself have more information to go from and can make a more informed decision when purchasing such items.

Have a lovely evening, think we should just agree to disagree...
Please do, I enjoy learning.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Not exact image but will be fine for an example:

IMG_4170.JPG

Basically the noise was caused by the link having too much movement. This was eliminated when OEM style Hardrace links were fitted.

Clearly you were being facetious but hopefully this can help 'if' someone is going through similar problems. I'm referring to the noise as it was unbearable.

As I already stated, would I advise someone to purchase this over other brands. Probably not. Has it helped/aided the handling, yes.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I was being facetious towards the mention of thread pitches and metal.

I am genuinely interested in the issues you had with the supplied links.

What do you mean by too much movement?

Midnight

Advanced Member
Middle of the link, the adjustment. You can physically move the thread inside so when under any load you'd have movement. We are speaking fractions of mm but still enough to cause the issue.

Could some better links (not tegiwa) of worked, more than likely but when there is already an 'off the shelf' part available it just made more sense. You obviously lose the adjustment of what the rose type link offers but to have that sort of movement my initial feeling that either it wasn't doing much anyway / wouldn't have lasted too long.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Was certainly tightened, I just think it comes down to the part (cheap-ness) of the link as even tight to suit the DC5 the movement was still noticeable by hand let alone under load. The main problem I believe is that it's for a EP3 but 'can' be adjusted for the DC5. This would explain the exhaust fouling, drop links being poor and just a general poor fit.

Still not 100% now as the bar itself, inside the bushes creates a 'thump' when any significant movement. Again I'm guessing due to poor / cheap buses used in the kit.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
I don't mean to but in here but if the lock nuts were tight then there's no way the threads would be able to move regardless unless the threads had stripped.

I'd bet my money on the issue being the cheap, crap quality rose joints being the offending items, or the hardrace drop links are of a different length moving the ARB away from whatever it was fouling on.

I don't think I'll be buying any Tegiwa branded items, bought a set of shifter cable bushes that rattled loose in the cable ends and they didn't seem to give a toss, that was enough for me!

Midnight

Advanced Member
I'd probably say it's the Tegiwa links.

As it's sold as a DC5 kit, you'd of hoped that the links were the correct size. You'd also hope that the thread wasn't stripped after only ~10 days of normal driving.

Initially I gave the kit 6/10 but clearly that was too generous.

Not sure if a solution to the bar and bush noise other than maybe after a bit of wear that it'll help how it sits/moves in the bush. Will keep the thread updated if any progress regarding that.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
The rear end being more planted, or shifting weight, and it's feel is dependant on many things. Front stiffness, rebounds rates, springs rates, front and rear height, and (probably) most of all driving style..

Seems a bit harsh to urine over the review.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I would of thought stiffening the rear would promote oversteer and shift the balance on reducing understeer at the front?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Kevin85

Advanced Member
GIBLETS said:
I don't mean to but in here but if the lock nuts were tight then there's no way the threads would be able to move regardless unless the threads had stripped.
How dare you!