[REWARD!] Knocking/Humming sound from front suspension

James-T

Advanced Member
Chaps,

This has been getting royally on my tits since I've had the car.

When I go for a B road blast, and hit a big dip, and even more so if I've banged on the brakes at the same time, I get a humming/knocking sound from the front suspension when the suspension compresses a lot.

Normal driving I don't hear or feel it at all. I can feel it more in the drivers footwell rather than the passengers.

I took it to Honda today and they took it out for a drive and didn't hear anything which didn't surprise me as you really need to be giving it some. They got it up on the ramps and checked everything they could but couldn't find the issue.

I know it's not top mounts as they were knocking before, and I replaced them, but this sound still persisted.

Tie rod ends, ARB droplinks been double checked.

If anyone suggests something which I haven't checked and it turns out to be the culprit, I'll send you some beer tokens.

James-T

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
A humming noise tends to be wheel bearing related.
Yeah it does, this is a different sound and feeling to that kind of droning though... but is it possible for a wheel bearing to only make a noise under suspension compression?

Rob R

Advanced Member
kahn_v said:
Does it happen around 3k revs?
No mate, it's not the heatshields. It happens more when I'm in 3rd gear around 6-8k rpm having a hoon!

James-T

Advanced Member
Rob R said:
No mate, it's not the heatshields. It happens more when I'm in 3rd gear around 6-8k rpm having a hoon!
Why am I logged in as Rob again? Going to clear cookies now!

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Might be a long shot see what play you have on the front alloy wish bones the rubber bushes may be shot??? Replaced mine last year with polybush ones from tgm.

James-T

Advanced Member
Cheers mate - Last time I saw them they looked OK.

I'll take you out on track next Friday and you can have another guess at what the noise is :)

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
James T said:
Cheers mate - Last time I saw them they looked OK.

I'll take you out on track next Friday and you can have another guess at what the noise is :)
OK mate, no prob's

Might be worth jacking the car up & spinning the wheel to see if you got that humming noise also place you hands on the wheel @ 12-6 & see if there is any play in the wheel.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
James T said:
Yeah it does, this is a different sound and feeling to that kind of droning though... but is it possible for a wheel bearing to only make a noise under suspension compression?
It's certainly feasible. Bearing noise certainly increases as weight transfers more on to it so perhaps it's early stages of wear? Perhaps give it some tight right handlers to transfer weight more to passenger side and see if you get the same noise?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if its under compression, the tyre is probably rubbing on the arch liners , i rubbed mine through in no time.

James-T

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
if its under compression, the tyre is probably rubbing on the arch liners , i rubbed mine through in no time.
That's a good point, but I'm running full stock suspension, wheels and tyre size... no signs of it rubbing either.

dave7368

Advanced Member
instead of offering a reward, why not just take it to somewhere who knows what they are doing with these cars....

James-T

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
instead of offering a reward, why not just take it to somewhere who knows what they are doing with these cars....
Did you miss the part where I said I took it to Honda?

dave7368

Advanced Member
no i didn't miss that part at all, i said take it to someone who knows about these cars, your local honda dealer isn't really interested in imports.... they really can't be arsed to look at them...

miki1212

Advanced Member
well if your trusty honda dealer cant find anything worng maybe its your imagination...? but really, they arent that intrested in 12 year old imports lol

James-T

Advanced Member
Dealers are interested in money, regardless of the car. The mechanic (also an enthusiast) working on mine mentioned how it's refreshing to work on something decent rather than Jazz's and 1.4 Civics all day.

£20 offer still open.

miki1212

Advanced Member
they're interested in money, so you had to still pay them even though they couldnt find anything wrong?
take it to somewhere who is more accustomed to working on DC5's they have probably come across the same problem before,as said before, if there is one...
maybe someone who works on Jazz and 1.4 civics all day with complaints from their 78 year old owners saying the parking sensor isnt working wont know much about it anyway..ha...