Road Noise or not?

rs-typeR

When driving at lower speeds around 40-50 ish I keep hearing a noise coming from the front underneath of the car that sounds typically like warn wheel bearings. I am pretty sure that isnt what it is because the car has only done 10k but I wanted to check with other people to see if they hear similar?

Rich

truffs

sometimes it occurs due to the tyre rubber in conflict with the tarmac, especailly on hot days like we have been having recently. The tarmac gets so warm that it begins to stick to the tyres, hence the noise. Great for cornering though!

jay.dee

Advanced Member
Possibly the exhaust shield flapping about at them speeds. This has happened to a couple of members

rs-typeR

It is always difficult to explain a sound but it doesnt sound like something flapping about it's sounds more like a transmission/prop/wheel problem if it is a problem?

T666YPR

Sounds like you've got worn teeth on your tranny,the same as me :(

I bet the noise instantly disappears when you depress the clutch and comes back when you release it.

Duncs

what tyres are you running ?, if on jap spec it could be these, on uk tyres mine is a lot quieter

tailslide

think i'm having a similar prob on mine. sounds like some bearings are having probs turning and it seems to make the car accelerate more "rough" at low speeds. funny tot came into my mind and i turned off the a/c. voila! grindings gone and car drives ok. now the problem is figuring out wats wrong with which part of the a/c....... :? juz praying that i dun melt under the weather while this is puzzle remains unsolved. any tots on this? loose belt? broken bearings on the a/c clutch?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Could be bearings on the ac clutch, most cars have a second fan for the a/c don't know if the dc5 has one but could be that also.

rs-typeR

I am running on toyo tyres and I think that now that the fronts are getting more worn they are creating more road noise as the v pattern becomes flatter.

ps the noise is still there cold or warm.

Evil_Weasel

Advanced Member
I've noticed a similar problem when driving at low speeds (20-30mph) and put it down to wheel bearings. Happens in all types of weather, although only hear it when I have the window wound down!

I do also have jap tyres on though....

rs-typeR

Has anyone had to replace the wheel bearings, if so what mileage?

(if mine have gone Honda warranty can pay seeing the car's only done 10k)

nickyg63

i think its the car. The sound doesn`t change when you turn, like it would with a bearing. I think its lack of sound deadening and fat tyres.

So nothing too worry about :p

tailslide

guys, things juz got worse after driving with the grinding sound for the past few days. now when i turn on the a/c, it sounds like i have a jammed blender rattling away under the bonnet. car still drives dandy with the a/c off. but the noise is simply heart wrenching 2 hear and it wun be until the weekends dat i'll really get the time 2 troubleshoot the prob. :cry: the plot thickens...... :lol:

tailslide

well, finally got an hour off work 2 fix the prob. turns out my suspicions were rite. the clutch on the a/c compressor seized and bent one of them shafts inside. learnt something painful too. a friggin new compressor's gonna run me up into the region of 400 UKP!!! :cry: anyone heard of DC5 a/c compressors committing suicide after only 2 yrs 3 mths?! :evil: guys at the workshop now trying 2 find me a recon. hopefully, dat'll save me enuff moolas for dat do-luck rear cross bar i'm eyeing :lol:

Splink

Advanced Member
I think mine has the same problem .. or rather sounds like the same problem.

At really slow speeds, around 10-20mph, i can hear a rumbling coming from what appears to be the wheels. As soon as I hit 30+ it goes away. Sounds like the tyres on certain roads. I am running yoko advan on the back - the ones which came with the car from japan.

Chiefgroover

This happened me with a MKiv supra, when inspected the a/c coolant level was way low. Check for leaks or it may happen again.

mikegsi

Staff member
tailslide said:
well, finally got an hour off work 2 fix the prob. turns out my suspicions were rite. the clutch on the a/c compressor seized and bent one of them shafts inside. learnt something painful too. a friggin new compressor's gonna run me up into the region of 400 UKP!!! :cry: anyone heard of DC5 a/c compressors committing suicide after only 2 yrs 3 mths?! :evil: guys at the workshop now trying 2 find me a recon. hopefully, dat'll save me enuff moolas for dat do-luck rear cross bar i'm eyeing :lol:
which is why you should run the air con for at least 10 mins every month to stop it seizing..........