Road tax help!

tomfarr

I'm looking at buying a dc5. The road tax on the one I'm looking at is £475 a year!!! (2006 facelift) Why is this? I thought they were £280. I think this is a little bit steep.Am I best of waiting for a lower tax bad facelift, or do I just bite the bullet as they are all the same? I will get a dc5 but just not sure what one. Has to be a facelift though.
Can anyone tell me what models are what tax?
Thanks

ste01

Advanced Member
It's probably just because it's been registered properly. A lot aren't and are taxed as Private Light Goods, PLG so pay the lower £225 a year

Rom

Advanced Member
Its all down to how they are registered when they come in the country.

UK cars after 2001 (forget the exact date) are based off of emissions class.

Now seeing as its technically produced after 2001, but never available in the UK, i dont know where this emissions figure would come from. But an EP3 and a FN2 are £285 a year. So i would guess its something like post 2001, on an unknown emissions class, which defaults to the ridiculous sum of £475.

Its a grey area really. I did read someone managed (not on here i dont think) to get his import tax band changed. But was a long process.

Its £200 a year your spending extra. Not something id take lightly. Would have to be the most perfect car ever.

The cars that are down as £225, have been classed without emissions. So the old system, anything under 1.5 or whatever it was, was x amount, anything over was the higher band.

this is from the .gov site

For cars registered before 1 March 2001 the rate of vehicle tax depends on its engine size.
The rate for cars registered on or after 1 March 2001 depends onCO2 emissions and fuel type. They‘ll be taxed using the old system if this information isn‘t available.

Erm

Advanced Member
There were 2 model reports floating about from what I can remember for the sva tests which would determine the emissions for the tax. One was in the higher band and one the lower. Whichever one was used when the sva was done would determine how much you pay now.

nellly

Advanced Member
I have never heard of any teg in the very high tax bracket mines unless they have changed something recently i would just keep looking.

bennn

Advanced Member
Mines a 52 in the old bracket so £225 a year. Think most get registered this way so its a bit unlucky its in the £475 bracket.