Robs KPRO experience.

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
Sorry for the dodgy thread title !

Anyway, thought i'd post up a thread with my experiences of getting the car remapped - duncs will find it useful i hope :)

My car is currently running basic mods as with this type R i'm not going down the manifold change route (which i do understand will have gained me a little more pub talk figures :wink: ). Maybe i'm getting old but i cant be bothered with the switching over at MOT time.

Teg mods when KPRO'd..

Injen long version (into front bumper)
Custom cat back exhaust

As said, a pair of basic mods - but they do the job! :lol:

I had experienced the benefits of the original hondata reflash on my CTR, that was a basic reflash that took advantage of basic breathing mods. It came set with VTEC coming in at 5200rpm and it transformed the CTR even tho it wasnt properly 'mapped' to the car.

I had always planned to get the teg KPRO'd at some point and now being a flat owner i thought i had better do it before utility bills completely take over my life lol.

Paul at System R asked me what mods were done when i arrived, then took the keys and reversed it into the workshop to begin the ECU swap over.

Over the course of the next two hours, i heard numerous runs being done on the rolling road to set the car up - Paul came in and asked me where i wanted the launch control set (Santa pod meet anyone?!). I've had it set at 3500rpm, best place for my level of tune paul reckon'd.

Havent got the graph of my final run after the KPRO and considering i have nothing to compare it to previously, the figures dont mean much tbh..

The car made 229bhp @ the fly & 169lb of torque.

I know that livvy had the car KPRO'd when she owned the car and i think it made 243bhp with a different exhaust and a changed manifold... So more power is to be had from the car possible (dont know livvys torque figure + that was done at a CPL i believe).

Left System R and it started to rain (well it would !), went for a little scoot around local roads and the increase in low torque was noticeable but not overly so.. due to the weather any attempt to see if this trip was worth the money couldnt be done until on dry roads!! :lol:

Once back home, on dry roads i got confirmation that it was worth the £890.74p ! VTEC now comes in at 4500rpm and has turned the teg into a torque monster!! (torque and teg in the same sentence?!)

The VTEC changeover that we all wait to arrive has all been smoothed out, basically like someone has grabbed hold of it and stretched it down 1500rpm. The bark i used to get with the injen has now been replaced with a slow motion induction scream (which i love !).

Making decent progress is no longer completely about being in the right gear any more, of course that would make ultimate progress. But general blatting off roundabouts can be enjoyed in any of the middle gears... and the major plus point is now the power band is 4000rpm in width u really dont 'need' to go into the later stages of VTEC (7k+).

The real difference is the swell of torque between 4.5k to 6k - gets things shifting along sooner and makes day to day driving a completely different experience.

My summary is - KPRO is 100% worth doing - but consider the future mods planned VS remap requirements.. i dont plan on doing anything more power wise on the teg so it suits me fine.

Problem is when u explain that in theory all i've gained in possible 14bhp and around 20lb of torque at the top end it sounds like not a massive gain. But its the mid range that this mod is all about and getting u into the zone that bit quicker !! 8) 8)

Small vid of her, now making more noise into VTEC :D
http://www.pugplace.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/teg/kpro1.mpg

I do hope to do a overlay vid of the speedo / revs before and after in the middle gears if i can - should be a little more definative in terms of gains i reckon.

Sorry for rambling !!

dazza

Advanced Member
Good post mate :D
This is something i plan on doing in the future (probably the last thing i do as cash isn't exactly free flowing at the mo :roll: )
It seems to me that this is more about improving diveability and producing useable power from the teg rather than out and out power, which ultimately is where you want it out on real world roads :wink: :D
I can't wait to get mine done!!!

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
dazza said:
It seems to me that this is more about improving diveability and producing useable power from the teg rather than out and out power, which ultimately is where you want it out on real world roads :wink: :D
Bang on with that quote mate - tho wet weather is still a issue but it always was :lol:

Suped

Advanced Member
Really nice write up Rob. Must check yours out before attempting it. £890 is quite a decent price for a massive change in power delivery and much better driveability. :lol:

Think I'll get this sooner than later.... :D

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Suped said:
Really nice write up Rob. Must check yours out before attempting it. £890 is quite a decent price for a massive change in power delivery and much better driveability. :lol:

Think I'll get this sooner than later.... :D
You know you should!!

Good write up Rob

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
Happy to give u passenger rides Lee & Suped 8)

On the spec of the standard DC5 our max torque arrives at 7krpm, on my DC5 now its coming in at 5.8krpm so that shows the real difference in torque delivery and the useability of it day to day..

Max power is still where it was way up at 8100rpm.

It does have the odd quirk tho - and i put this down to the small amount of mapping that is done at system R compared to places like CPL.

When the car is stationery with clutch down and u put some electrical load on it (i.e. brake light and steering input for parking) i find the revs do dip quite a bip, it did stall once up by system R but Paul said its self teaching and will throw more fuel in when its learnt that situation.

But even now at home putting it in the garage its a little weak in that situation, it doesnt stall but u can feel it shudder a bit. More evident due to the uprated engine mounts.

Also theres a slight patch i've noticed when cruising at around 30mph in 4th, a slight sputter occasionally. But these are the only two quirks i've noticed since saturday and they are fine. If anything i could amend the idle slightly to sort the first quirk myself if i had a laptop but i'll see how it goes. And i think the second would be sorted with more in depth mapping.

As with anything the figures arent really any use without a before and after dyno run so it more comes down to the 'drive it' dyno and more importantly the torque delivery.

Ezza

Advanced Member
Sounds good, but i agree with you. You can spend £1000+ on KPRO and Gruppe M only to gain a small 20bhp :shock: :( Its not exactly wat u wud xpect from such money spent but it does make a difference

Rob CTR

Advanced Member
But figures mean nothing - its making what power u already had more useable.. + extra grunt.

Remember these engines arent turbos etc... where its one chip and u have a magical 50bhp...

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Compare a standard dyno graph to a KPro'ed dyno graph and check the difference in midrange power...thats where the secret lies :wink: