Rocker Cover Advice

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Back in June I paid to have my Rocker cover resprayed in Spoon Yellow, I did it with Spooner Restorations. I am sure many of you know the process for this, you pay, he paints a cover he has in stock, sends it out to you then you send the old one back.

Well I did this, I actually had the new cover sat in the house 2 weeks before fitting. It looked pretty good although I did feel the colour was slightly off and there was 1 small mark on it which I raised with him but just got an apology. Though no worries you will barely see it. Put a layer of wax on it and fitted to the car.

Since then I havent even done 1000 miles, have kept it clean as much as the car but still specs of dirt bedded into it and it has just got worse and worse and I am unable to remove them. The front/face has gone matte and the whole thing looks crap.

I contacted Spooner who has advised me that unfortunately I am one of the last victims who a trial air dry lacquer that he was using at the time. He will do me another one half price. I of course queried this, why am I having to pay for something again thats not my fault which I thought based on his Rep would be perfect first time but he said thats the best he can do seeing as this is his day job he cannot afford to do it any cheaper and it has been 6 months since he done it.

I do not want to be an arse about it but quite frankly, if you pay for something to be right instead of doing it your self, its crap when its not right!

Ive spoken to others who seem to have a similar issue so now I am wondering, what do i do next? Leave it? Do it self? Pay someone else?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I feel your pain. I too have had the same issues. Off colour and a rough finish. Mine too went matte all over and dirt embedded in it. I had the same response. He used a different lacquer that didn't seem right.

I have had another done but it got damaged in transit. Not Spooners fault of course. It went back to him as he said he could repair it. When I got it back, I fitted the cover again and it cracked in the same place. Not happy. I did use a bit of hondabond and that was his excuse for it breaking, I used too much...

So I now have a spare cover which is with my paint sprayer. Undecided on what I am going to get done but it won't be Spoon yellow or done by Spooner restorations.

I know of a couple of other people on here that have had the same happen to their covers. Poor show on Spooners part. If HE made a mistake then HE should fix it. WE shouldn't have to pay for it.

tico_87

Advanced Member
Sorry but the price he charges to respray a rocker cover i'd expect it to be an immaculate finish and last quite a bit longer than 6 months. How can he have the cheek to want more money for his mistake?!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
tico_87 said:
Sorry but the price he charges to respray a rocker cover i'd expect it to be an immaculate finish and last quite a bit longer than 6 months. How can he have the cheek to want more money for his mistake?!
And so would I. The one I have now seems to be ok (apart from the crack) He charges enough to do a good job. TGM stopped doing them because they thought Spooner was doing them cheaper. But after Tom seeing mine I think he or Willy will start doing them again.

I don't want to slate Spooner but I think something needs to be done by him.

Brophy

Advanced Member
Tom I feel your pain and almost identical experience from Paul @ spooner restorations and I'd say mines is even worse.

Will try and get pics later on to prove how bad it is, similar reply that it was a new lacquer he was "trying" and said as I had it done a while ago that was that.

(Can screenshot all messages if anyone wants them)

I know Adam (gok) and I think some others got a new rocker done free of charge but I was told I had to pay also.

Now I'm in position similar again of who do I get to do my rocker, rather annoyed with full scenario and have just left it ATM as don't know who to trust to do their job...

Fez

Advanced Member
Seems very unfair to me. Regardless of price, you shouldn't have to pay anything towards it.

Can't you guys just go to any local bodyshop to have it done?

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I have since spoken with Paul at Spooner.

He has assured me his has latest equipment and the next one will not only be perfect but won't have the issue again. Free of charge.

Will keep you all updated, got a busy January.

Looking forward to it ☺

therealspooner

Advanced Member
Any one else want to jump on the band wagon? I've sorted over 20 customers who had this problem. The occurred between June and August last year when I used this air dry lacquer. Wish I'd never used it as its come back to bite me in the arse.

I've said to tom (short stuff) he can have it done for free like I did the others - yes admittedly a handful of people I did say I'd do it again for half price.

In August last year I upgraded everything including air fed breathing apparatus to enable me to spray 2k paints, the most durable but deadly paint. This problem regarding the air dry lacquer has been brought up on here before.

I'm a 1 man band guys and I do apologise to those customers that had these problems with their fresh paintwork. It's been nipped in the bud months back now, my work is consistent and every customer I have is more than happy apart from the select few where this problem has occurred.

Now, Sean brophy - I'll do yours for free n all mate - or like I said if you wanted a flip paint like you were interested in I'd do it for half price.

Adam - wasn't my fault the cover got damaged in the post - I did fix it for you but sadly you did put far too much Honda bond on an area that was a tricky, very tricky fix - I've got the photo you sent me for reference. Just shows it's not leaking oil as you still have it on your car! We've had enough issues with each other but I do feel disappointed. You made it clear that you don't want to use me so our business is done and dusted.

Once again I do apologise for problems that occurred due to this crap air dry lacquer that I quickly found out wasn't up to the job. It's taken months for people to come forward and tell me if they've had a problem or not.

I assure everyone my work is done to the highest standards possible, just look at the pictures they do the talking. Been at this game for years and now I'm full time.

ep3itrdc5

Advanced Member
pretty much any decent body shop will be able to do this for you guys, had mine done a year ago at my local place with 2k paint and it's still like new..

therealspooner

Advanced Member
Most bodyshops will turn around and say it's not worth their time bud. All my work is flatted and polished by hand, not just left out of the gun like most bodyshops will do on valve covers. It's not worth them spending 6 plus hours on jobs like I do. Look at my work - orange peel free. Flat and polish by hand & using 3M trizact wet sanding discs coupled with a DA polish and buffing compounds.

Just for the record I supply traders with my products, including Dream Automotive & fiberworx, and Tgm in the past.

ep3itrdc5

Advanced Member
maybe, where u come from, i have yet to find a bodyshop turn me away with this type of work..

Brophy

Advanced Member
That's much appreciated I'll be in touch, I hadn't contacted as knew you had finished up for Christmas.

Will have a look through the colours again.

Thanks.

therealspooner

Advanced Member
No worries mate, I actually started back the day after Boxing Day. Loads of work on can't complain. Drop me a message on FB. Cheers Paul

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Why we are all at it, I also have a rocker cover from spooner restorations and it has done the exact same thing.

Good to know the reason why it's gone this way, as we have all seen some of the finishes on fb and at shows and some of them are brilliant.
I won't go in with my hole story but just that I received one cover, but the finish didn't end up what it should of, so Paul did do me another one no problems and free. So can't complain about service.

Just as above real shame that the finish hasn't lasted and for what we have paid for. For people reading this, I have not contacted Paul since receiving the cover so in fairness he is none the wiser to any other problems I have had with the paint. but is good and bad to see its not just myself that the finish hasn't lasted.

Is good to hear that you have identified and solved the problem. Would be nice to receive a discount or a redo a reduced cost because of this problem, And although right now I wouldn't, if after a year and peoples covers are still in good condition paint wise, then i would enquire again.

Just my experience take from it what you will.

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Have to say Paul did mine about 3 years ago but it was only done in the crinkle red still looks good today.

Si

Parts Trader
I've had a fair few dealings with Spooner, in fact I remember when he started doing the covers for people and he's slowly built it into a great little cottage industry!

He's done rocker covers for many of my customers on my recommendation and none have come back to say there were issues. He did my FD2 cover about a year ago - which came out really well and I had no issues, probably due to a different lacquer than the problems experienced and mentioned above. Things don't always go to plan and I know Paul takes incredible pride in his business and will do what he can to help people. What people don't realise decent paint isn't cheap - unless you can buy it in serious bulk (like some large scale bodyshops) then the discounts to smaller companies are limited. Our group bodyshop closed down not long ago and I had a load of left over paint to sell online lol

Well done to Paul for doing the right thing.