Rolling road following cam chain replacement

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Does anyone think some running in needs to be done directly after new chain, guides and tensioner or should it be fine to go straight on the rollers?

Am half tempted to go via eurospec on my return journey home to Wales in a fortnight's time once I've had the work done at TGM

integraleo

Advanced Member
Should be perfectly fine,it's not a wear component like clutch or brakes so is designed to work flat out from first installment. Put it this way would you take it easy after installing a new fuel pump or water pump?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I had mine done Tuesday and I asked the exact question, does it need bedding in and the answer was no. Just drive it the same as you usually do.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Good good. It made sense that I wouldn't need to buy I just wanted to be 100%

Thanks guys. Hey Marc I bet it drives like a different car now!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
It doesn't feel that much different to be completely honest, 4th and 3rd to an extent feel smoother certainly and it pulls very well in 4th now but it did anyway. Engine tone sounds slightly different too I've noticed, bit of a deeper tone and slightly smoother idle but apart from that I can't really tell any difference.

I've not had the chance to take it on a good hoon since the chain has been done but I will at some point so I will know then if it's any different. How come you're getting yours done mate?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Not really mate, still sounds somewhat noisy but I'll put that down to the injectors.

I try to ignore any noises from it now ha ha!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
No issues at all with mine tbh. Just want to do it as precaution and whilst I can afford it as circumstances will change soon and I won't have so much to spend on it.

Rom

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Not really mate, still sounds somewhat noisy but I'll put that down to the injectors.

I try to ignore any noises from it now ha ha!
I can confirm Buddyclub header and Spec 3 cures all noises!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
May as well post this in here seen as it's sort of related.

I've noticed since having the chain done that my fuel economy has improved slightly, or it seems that way.

I have put in £100 worth of Momentum 99 again because there were no Shell garages nearby so could be something to do with that, have noticed the car seems quieter on the Tesco fuel than on V Power but at low speeds it's quite jerky, not sure whether that's down to the fuel or the 02 sensor that's playing up.