Roof Gutter Mastic - cracks

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I‘ve recently noticed some small hairline cracks in the mastic towards the rear end of the roof gutters. This is the sealant that‘s applied after the rear quarters and roof section have been spot welded together prior to the shell being painted.

I suspect this is a common issue with Hondas as I noticed it on a few FN2‘s I looked at prior to purchasing the DC5.

Being keen in keeping my car as corrosion free as I possibly can whilst using the car daily all year round I‘m interested to know if anyone else has noticed this and attempted to resolve it without causing too much pain financially and keeping the cars original paint.

I‘m thinking of masking off the area, prepping it and applying some form of epoxy based body sealant but keen to listen to other people‘s experiences.

Cheers.

joiner

Advanced Member
Mine was the same, just shrinkage due to age as the sealer dries out, wasn't just there though, the sealer around my doors were cracking too. This is also the reason that water gets in at the base of the A pillars as there's a massive knot of seam sealer there and it cracks also.

I wasn't to bothered as mine was getting a full respray anyway but if I were you then I would buy some white seam sealer off eBay or your local factors. Smear it into the crack as best you can with your finger, use meth's or similar to wipe off excess then touch up with paint. If your quite fussy then you'll never see it providing you don't go mental with the paint as it never matches regardless :).

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Called into a body shop yesterday regarding having my arch lips repainted as the paint is painfully thin on them (wanting extra protection).

Apart from being told I‘m probably the most anal person to come in front of the guy 😂 he said the same as above, repainting them would spoil the car he said and advised on cleaning them with thinners and doing the above then touching them in.

Hoping he‘ll do this buck shee whilst in for the arch lips as he loved the car....

Marky.

Has anyone got any pictures of the result diy?

I also have some hairline cracks and would like to get on top of it before any corrosion sets in.