Rotrex supercharger kit

Mattcivic

Hi all, looking at fitting the bottom mounted rotrex kit to my dc5. It's from TTS and a universal kit, has anyone fitted one? Or even running one

Cheers matt

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
best bet is to speak to Paul at Tdi , i dont think its particularly straightforwards unless you are a skilled motor engineer , im sure i have seen low mounted rotrex chargers on dc5's in the past

adam.

Advanced Member
I'd never heard of the CT engineering kit, the price with management I'm assuming you'd just need to pay for fitting and mapping once bought?

ep3itrdc5

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
Why TDi, why not any of the other tuners out there?
maybe he lives near tdi? though i'm sure TGM would do a much more tidy job of it.. a few decent ones in scotland as well..

FireDance

Advanced Member
adam. said:
I'd never heard of the CT engineering kit, the price with management I'm assuming you'd just need to pay for fitting and mapping once bought?
Had one in from CPL the other day, it looks really tidy. But it does only get you 50bhp & they do say on the advert that modification may be required to make it fit!!!

adam.

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
Had one in from CPL the other day, it looks really tidy. But it does only get you 50bhp & they do say on the advert that modification may be required to make it fit!!!
Ha, sack that then. 300bhp sounds like a sweet spot for me. Thanks!

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
The FN2 kit claims extra 70bhp, with stage 2 pulley 110bhp that should be the same kit?

I think this is a Eaton M62 supercharger, this seems very similar to the JRSC, sure they can run 350bhp with the right supporting mods?

I have been looking at the charger route, in the UK it seems we have very little options, the yanks like the HAROP HTV 1320 - 400+ bhp.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Kraftwerks chargers is another potential one to look at. Very expensive though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
The kraftwerks kit is not bolt on it requires radiator, intercooler & pipework etc, you would be better doing a turbo conversion for the same price. The other chargers are bolt on.

truupR

Advanced Member
Jonnyteg said:
you would be better doing a turbo conversion for the same price.
I suppose that's a matter of preference? Turbo can probably net you more power but you'd really have to consider forged internals. A friend is/was running almost 400bhp dead on stock internals: didn't last long before part of the conrod decided it was time to vacate the engine. Had to have a new block, built and forged which cost a pretty penny. I used to want 400+ bhp on my teg, but after driving one with 400, it almost feels too fast for the road :/

As far as I know (or read ((don't quote me on this, I know next to nothing about mechanics)) it's typically the torque that the k20 struggles to deal with and usually what'll lead to something in the engine dying off. The torque delivery on the turbo is really quite harsh, where-as the supercharged builds seem to have a more linear power delivery.

I could be talking crap though. I've driven the turbo but only seen videos of supercharged ones...

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Can someone answer this question please as I'm no mechanic and have never properly understood compression etc.

If our engine is a high compression engine and you go boost, turbo for example then ideally you want the compression to be as low as possible right?

What do low compression pistons and conrods do compared to their high compression counterparts as to me they look identical and that they're both pieces of metal.

Are forged lower compression parts lighter in weight or move differently within the engine or something? I've never understood it before.

dave7368

Advanced Member
compression in the sense of high and low is compression ratio, which very basically is the ratio or difference in volume inside the cylinder bore between the piston being at the top and bottom of its stroke..

Mattcivic

Cheers lads for the heads up. Doesn't seem very popular then bottom mounted. I'm sure I'll find a kit out there. Going to give tts a call Monday as they are saying there kits fit. :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
FireDance said:
Why TDi, why not any of the other tuners out there?
because they are a current trader here, i know them well and i know for certain they have done the job before on a DC5 and the OP is obviously a newbie so can be a one stop shop, TGM will be able to fit also, but is limited if theres any major inhouse fabrication needed and cant map in house , im sure there are plenty of other excellent tuners too such as Eurospec but id always try and recommend a forum trader where i can . personally i wouldnt go to CPL, the only times ive had to deal with them havent been good and i cant possibly recomend anyone i wouldnt go to myself.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
dave7368 said:
compression in the sense of high and low is compression ratio, which very basically is the ratio or difference in volume inside the cylinder bore between the piston being at the top and bottom of its stroke..
you been on wiki ? ;)

FireDance

Advanced Member
Mattcivic said:
Cheers lads for the heads up. Doesn't seem very popular then bottom mounted. I'm sure I'll find a kit out there. Going to give tts a call Monday as they are saying there kits fit. :)
On it, drop me a message