Rotrex supercharger

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
My Teg has recently been rotrex'd by TGM Sport and to say I'm happy would be an understatement! I know force inducing is not to everyone's taste, and I looked into going n/a myself but for the power I wanted it was cheaper to charge. I'm very happy though. You get none of the big torque surge from a turbo, just linear power all the way to the redline. It almost feels like I'm driving a bigger VTEC engine'd car, except for the blow off valve noise on gear changes. You loose some of the induction roar from n/a but it still sounds mean! It makes driving around town alot easier because I can leave it in a high gear and just be lazy instead of changing up and down all the time, and when accelerating on the motorway, it's just insane, even if I leave it in sixth! And even though it's not such a big factor, I can still get 30 MPG from it if I want to. A big thumbs up to Tom and his crew at TGM for a great conversion, especially as this was his first. :wink:

neil_integra

Advanced Member
I saw this being built whilst mine was down there.
Looked a good piece of kit. I was there for 2 days but didnt get chance to hear it fire up, which was a shame.
Have you had it mapped yet? I know TGM were gonna put the base map in.

phil r

Advanced Member
Been waiting to see gains on a rotrex charged teg , must be well over 300 bhp , Thats the way Iwould go if I was considering forced induction xthumbup

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Yeh, had it mapped at Surrey rolling road, which only took about an hour as most of the mapping had already been done on the road by the French guy that's working at TGM (can't remember his name. Sorry if you're reading this!). This guy is shortly going to be buying his own rolling road setup, and plans to work in conjunction with TGM, but for the moment is paying to use the 'Surrey' one.
It's only the small charger (C30) and is set to make 10psi. Although TTS performance say this kit is safe without running an intercooler, the pipework to and from the charger (which is sited where the air-con pump is, as apposed to where our power steering pump is, on the civic) runs right behind the radiator, so on continous hard use intake temperatures rise to 70 oC. Therefore the car has been mapped to make it safe for now, although still making 300BHP and 210 lb/ft. Tom is trying to source an intercooler now and a different radiator to allow fitment. More-so to make it safe rather than the extra power. I'm going to get an engine oil cooler aswell while he's at it. So for the moment I won't be taking it on track, but hopefully will come the summer. And all this only cost me an extra £30 on the insurance, which I'm really happy with. Thanks A-Plan :D

Westie

Hi, could I ask the most obvious question?(as no one has yet), or would you think it rude? How much have you spent ? would I have to re-mortgage the house for this upgrade ? :lol:

JDC5

Charged DC5
hey mate

I knw TGM is a good place to for the DC5.. just want to ask you,.. if you can tell me... how much did tom charge for fitting the charger and mapping?

as i'm tryin to compare prices at the mo and CPL racing seems to be the better one so far... £700 fitted and mapped..

CHeers

reading that cant wait to fit mine JR in!

lol

JD

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
I don't know the exact price as this wasn't the only thing I had done while the car was in, but it was at the £3k mark as I already have the Hondata ECU (Which would be an extra £700ish). This cost is without the intercooler and radiator, and I'm yet to find out what that is going to cost. Not too expensive though I hope. I already have exhaust, brake, suspension upgrades etc. but if you haven't you'd be wise to factor these in to the cost aswell. As for fitting and mapping costs I don't know as Tom sourced the Rotrex kit for me so it was an all in price. I'd think you'd find him very competitive though, with the added benefit of knowing that he is well known on this forum for being good at what he does. I would definately recommend him as I've been very happy with all the work that he's done for me over the last couple of years. xthumbup

Suped

Advanced Member
THe french guy is Romain. Very capable and knows a thing or 2 about mapping. Anuar's EP3 rotrexed is nicely mapped by him. Having had a ride in it, I'd defo get Romain to map my KPro. :lol:

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Romain, that's right. He mapped Anuar's civic straight after mine as he had problems with the fuel pump before. It made 373BHP I think, at 15psi! All on standard internals :shock: He took me for a spin in this, it was a very fast car! I think they took it to Brands Hatch last weekend aswell, which must have been fun. You're right about Romain, he defo knows his stuff, a good addition to the TGM team.

Fire_2

Your right Anuar's civic is very fast!

we was pulling 135mph brabham straight at brands!

Romain's was pulling in some quick lap times too