rough gearchanges( not all the time )

Brecht

Advanced Member
So about 4 weeks ago i went for a quick trackday at Spa, did a few laps and went to the pits for a cooldown.
When I wanted to go on track again , put in gear it went real rough so i thought , why not try all the gears.
1st and 2nd were rough 3th and 4th smooth als silk and 5th and 6th also rough..
Changed the gearbox oil and it's better for 1st and 2nd but 5th and 6th still do it when on track ( only in lower revs for a cooldown lap or a few warm up laps once cooled down )
Also when i was in stop and go traffic for about 10 minutes or so and i could speed up again , 5th and 6th go rough again.
But it disappears when driving normally for a few minutes, it all goes back to normal.
Just find it strange that 3th and 4th are never effected and when driving around normally i never have a problem with it !
2 Weeks ago at circuit Zolder 5th and 6th gave me a hard time when on cooldown laps, at warmup laps it disappears after a lap or 2.
Clutch was changed about 3000 km's ago.
I doesn't grind or anything , just doesn't want to go in smoothly.
Was thinking about the clutch fluid at one point but that doesn't explain why 3th and 4th aren't affected..

Who's got a clue of what it is?
Thanks

Benneh

Advanced Member
Could be that the synchromeshes for the affected gears are getting worn, making it harder to select those gears. They are a known item to suffer wear and tear, and if you're hitting up a few trackdays and pushing the car a lot I wouldn't expect the OEM items to last too long depending on if they are the originals still / age and mileage of the car!

Brecht

Advanced Member
Car only has 86k km's , although the clutch did go quite soon..
on track i also have a 3th gear crunch when shifting really fast so i quit doing that...
still finding it strange that the problems also occurs when doing stop and go traffic as you mostly just have the first gear to use.
On track in zolder i only use gear 3-4 , 2nd only if there are slower cars in the tight turns.
5th and 6th only below 4k revs on cooldown laps, and those 2 are the problem i'm having at the moment

k20-outlaw

Advanced Member
I'd say you have bent or cracked a selection fork in the gearbox, a well known problem on these boxes.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
k20-outlaw said:
I'd say you have bent or cracked a selection fork in the gearbox, a well known problem on these boxes.
my gear selection is rough occasionally as well, i only have like a 1000 miles on a freshly built box. is the selector fork a box off job?

wocka

Advanced Member
I have a similar problem, after a big hoon a month or so ago my gear smoothness is just going down hill, im putting mine down to killing the clutch but will be inspecting my fork while my box is off for the clutch change

When cold my 1st to 2nd is dreadfull, i usually go 1st to 3rd, going down 3rd to 2nd is better but still crap. 3rd to 4th is still ok but 5th to 6th is abit notchy. Once warm my gears are all ok, not like they used to be but useable

Brecht

Advanced Member
If the fork is bent or cracked , wouldn't it be rough all the time then?
'cause from cold to warm, the gearbox is good for me really.
Day to day driving, no problems at all it shifts really smooth, just sometimes a little crunch from 2nd when cold
when warmed up from track abuse and going for a cooldown lap , only then i get a slightly rough 5th and 6th.
When cooled down for 5 mins in the pits , 5th and 6th only go rough.
then when doing 2 warm up laps it disappears and all is fine again.
When sitting in stop and go traffic for a while only using 1st and 2nd , and speeding up again 5th and 6th go rough for a while..
just finding it really strange...

Javirai1

Advanced Member
yeah when cold mine aren't great either... much better after the car has had time to warm up though............. but pretty much try to avoid second gear until its nice and warm......