rubber chin spoiler install

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
A few people commented at japfest about my chin spoiler so i thought i'd throw up a guide on how i installed it.

firstly i sourced the material from american ebay to the grand total of £30. i was sceptical on how it was going to look but for that price i thought it wouldnt bother me if it was trash. To my surprise the end result was really good. The material itself is very durable and copes fine with cleaning and scraping to remove paint from when i refurbed the brembos. oops
its also flexible so you dont need to worry about it cracking or being damaged on kurbs etc. You can get the lower look without compromising your handling by lowering your car too much

The splitter itself is more of a rubber type trim than a solid plastic splitter but is completely universal and really easy to install. Here is how it looks on the car

So the chin spoiler came with a fitting kit to install which consisted of a collection of self tapping screws with plastic washers and plastic push in fixings

Firstly i removed the front bumper to allow better access then proceeded to offer the spoiler material to the front bumper. Starting from one end i used a punch to neatly allow a hole for a fixing in the material (6mm in diameter to allow for minor adjustments). it does make life a lot easier if theres two of you to ensure the lip is exacly where you want it when marking the location of the fixing and to ensure it follows the lines of the bumper. I proceeded to move along and round the entire bumper spaceing the fixings about 2inches apart in the straight edges and a little closer on the corner parts. I used the self tapping screws around the corners of the bumper and the push in type on the straighter front edge.

heres a picture to try to explain

The silver self tappers and washers where extras i needed to complete the install. Once i had installed all around the bumper i removed any extra material with some scissors

Heres some more installed pictures

The guy who sells the chin spoilers also sent a sample of an alternative which can also be found online called EZ spoiler. Its almost identical in price but made out of a horrible foam like material instead of a rubber/plastic material. EZ spoiler is also self adhesive but has a tendancy to fall off when washing the car so probably best to avoid that one.

Overall i think it looks good and you cant go wrong for the money

I've now bought enough to try out running down my sideskirts to give a similar effect to rx7 sideskirts so i'll post up pics later of how that looks

These pictures are taken using the very same material and just show on different coloured cars

Heres a link to a similar material being installed. This one is purpose made for the car and costs a lot more but you get the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3k7iBDizxQ

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Tried this on my Celica and it was awesome and i had the same idea with the skirts! Good luck :)

Brophy

Advanced Member
That actually looks good ;) sounds durable enough to take a knock aswell lol

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
It doesn't even need to 'take a knock' as it's pretty flexible so would literally just bend then pop back into position. Really good stuff :)

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I suppose if there is paint specifically for flexible/rubber materials I don't see why not?

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
I'm not sure I'd want to paint it. It's strong but flexible at the same time. I'd be worried the paint would crack easily when installing to the bumper. I may be wrong however

Thanks for all the positive comments 👍

Mebz

Advanced Member
jdmsteve said:
I'm not sure I'd want to paint it. It's strong but flexible at the same time. I'd be worried the paint would crack easily when installing to the bumper. I may be wrong however

Thanks for all the positive comments 👍
Hi mate, could you post the link to the seller please.

Thanks

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
Hi there I'm the reseller here in the uk for rhino lip. I mainly sell through my FB page rhino lip uk. Send me a pm or shoot me a message on Facebook if you have an account.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Cheers for sharing, I'm another one that had a good look at japfest and thought yeah looks sweet, wonder what it look like on a facelift....hmmmm

dave7368

Advanced Member
Alexander0628 said:
Cheers for sharing, I'm another one that had a good look at japfest and thought yeah looks sweet, wonder what it look like on a facelift....hmmmm
you need a full Mugen lip kit ;)

Mebz

Advanced Member
jay82 said:
Do you remember the sellers on ebays name

Jdmsteve on this forum will sort you one out.

I bought one from him last week. Arrived within a couple of days and with plenty of fittings.

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
Yes you can just pm me or go to my Facebook page
Rhino lip uk