Rubbing issue.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Hi guys, I've just had a set of 225/45/17 re070s fitted to my dc5, on the way to work this morning, I noticed my rear tyres are catching on the inner lip of my arch. I'm booked in at grinspeed this Friday for geo set up but I only have eibach pro springs and rear camber arms. How much adjustment will I be able to get on the rear? Will too much camber make the car handle like a boat?

I guess another option would be to roll my arches but I'm hoping I can avoid that, any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damien2809

Advanced Member
I got TGM's fast road setup on mine last month and it was scraping really bad and that was on 215. Few weeks ago i had my arches rolled, resprayed and derusted (surface luckily) and i don't get any more rubbing.

You might notice the arches cut into the tyres and eventually the paint will come off.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Hi mate, I've literally just got mine back on the road and hopefully have geo later this week. To help me get up to where I need to go a set the rear camber arms to standard length and then wound them in approx 5mm. Have just taken the car out and all is fine, I also have New Re070 225/45 tyres lowered on spoon springs so approx 25mm drop.

Just to add I won't need to roll the arches, ran these tyres for years with no rubbing but did make the first mistake on my first dc5 of not winding the arms in first and mine rubbed

Kenz

Advanced Member
Day said:
I got TGM's fast road setup on mine last month and it was scraping really bad and that was on 215. Few weeks ago i had my arches rolled, resprayed and derusted (surface luckily) and i don't get any more rubbing.

You might notice the arches cut into the tyres and eventually the paint will come off.
I've previously had Goodyear eagle f1 tyres in 225/45 and didn't have any rubbing issues. Yeah paint coming off isn't what I want really.

Kenz

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
Hi mate, I've literally just got mine back on the road and hopefully have geo later this week. To help me get up to where I need to go a set the rear camber arms to standard length and then wound them in approx 5mm. Have just taken the car out and all is fine, I also have New Re070 225/45 tyres lowered on spoon springs so approx 25mm drop.

Just to add I won't need to roll the arches, ran these tyres for years with no rubbing but did make the first mistake on my first dc5 of not winding the arms in first and mine rubbed
Thanks for the reply mate, my previous tyres were Goodyear eagle f1s and I didn't have any rubbing issues. I'm hoping stevie can sort it this Friday. Do you know what geo settings your going for?

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I'm sure you'll be fine.

Won't be able to run to aggressive as I don't have a few of the parts that I had last time. Something like -1.2' front and -1.0' rear would be great

Kenz

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
I'm sure you'll be fine.

Won't be able to run to aggressive as I don't have a few of the parts that I had last time. Something like -1.2' front and -1.0' rear would be great
Just checked my arch and unfortunately it's pulled some paint off from rubbing , you can also see the line on the tyre where it caught. This was also on a 40mph bend at casual speed, I guess if I was pushing it more and had more body roll then the rubbing would have been worse

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Right man thought I'd give you a little update how I got on today with the guys at area Motorsport.

So my setup:

Spoon springs
Camber bolts
Camber arms
7x7.5 wheels et45
RE070 225/45/17

To get the car up there I knew there was a possibility that the tyres would scrub as I'd had it before on my previous dc5 so I set the rear camber arms to standard length and then wound them in 5mm. When the guys set the gear up they said it had -1.8' on the rear wheels exactly each side.

They carried on and all was looking ok and we were looking at running -1.2' camber on the back but this was going to cause rubbing on the arch so it was set at -1.4' and all is fine.

Final figures are:

Front -1.8' camber and 0^10' toe

Rear -1.4' camber and 0^11' toe

I'm quite happy with those settings and the car drives perfect.

Hope you got on ok

Kenz

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
Right man thought I'd give you a little update how I got on today with the guys at area Motorsport.

So my setup:

Spoon springs
Camber bolts
Camber arms
7x7.5 wheels et45
RE070 225/45/17

To get the car up there I knew there was a possibility that the tyres would scrub as I'd had it before on my previous dc5 so I set the rear camber arms to standard length and then wound them in 5mm. When the guys set the gear up they said it had -1.8' on the rear wheels exactly each side.

They carried on and all was looking ok and we were looking at running -1.2' camber on the back but this was going to cause rubbing on the arch so it was set at -1.4' and all is fine.

Final figures are:

Front -1.8' camber and 0^10' toe

Rear -1.4' camber and 0^11' toe

I'm quite happy with those settings and the car drives perfect.

Hope you got on ok
Cheers for getting back to me man, it seems we were in the same situation!

Got mine to grinspeed, still slightly rubbing round tight corners.

When I got there he measured my current set up, 1.7/1.8 degree on the rear, 1.3 on drivers front and 0.6 on passenger front! No wonder it was driving like a pig .

We decided with mine to go with a standard set up that he likes using. 1.2 degree on the front, 1 degree on the rear. I believe the toe and caster was set up square.

Luckily I managed to find someone to roll my rear arches after I'd finished, not the neatest job, but it'll do as it doesn't rub anymore.

My only assumption with this situation is that the spoon progressive springs offer less body roll than the eibach pro springs I'm running.

The car now feels a lot better to drive, and the re070s seem to be really good value for money.

Edit, I'm also running the same spec wheels as yourself.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Cool man glad to hear you got it all sorted in the end.

Yeah we were both in a similar boat but all sorted which is the main thing.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the eibach springs, on my ep3 they were the next best thing to the tein coilovers I had but comfortable, handled great and looked fab.

The one thing is for certain and I can't do anything about is the spoon springs bind together and cause them to clunk. Don't bother me but if I was to do it again I would of gone with the abp eibach kit.

Enjoy your car matey :)