Running to cold

Lukemitchell

After some advice.
Only had my dc5 a month or so and up until now it has been fine.
But recently it seems to be running to cold.
If the car is left running the temperature will read just under half and stay there.
But when driving the temperature drops right down to only a couple of bars and on a cold evening will drop so cold that Vtec won't engage..
Coolent levels are okay..
And ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Had the same when I first bought mine. Turned out the thermostat spring had been removed. A race thermostat is a common mod in Japan but they just aren't practical on a road car so my advice would be to order an oem stat and replace. Obviously I can't say 100% it will be that but it's highly likely and if I'm wrong it's only a £35 part or thereabouts so no huge loss. It paid off taking the gamble in my case anyway :)

Lukemitchell

Cheers for the advice.
I was thinking it could be be stat aswell, just thought its a bit strange how it will get up to temp when sitting still but then driving it drops right down..
If the stat was faulty wouldn't it read cold all the time !?

nellly

Advanced Member
when your sat still there isn't any air passing over the rad so temperatures climb, its then only when moving and the greater air flow that you notice the temp drop and the cool air passing over the rad cools the engine more.

dave7368

Advanced Member
True, it will run cooler with air flow over the rad but when it reaches a lower temp the thermostat would start to close to keep the temperature at a certain level, mine has a low temp thermostat and low temp fan switch wil no problems..

davidpingu

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
True, it will run cooler with air flow over the rad but when it reaches a lower temp the thermostat would start to close to keep the temperature at a certain level, mine has a low temp thermostat and low temp fan switch wil no problems..
This is true. Of course in my case there was no thermostat to open and close, just the housing, so mine would read cold as soon as I got on to faster roads.

I couldn't believe it when I found just an empty housing. Seemed a bit of a ghetto thing to do!!

Either way it wouldn't have been doing the car any good. Cold starts would take an eternity to warm the car through so the oil isn't getting up to temperature as quickly as it should. Fuel economy on long runs would really suffer too.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if there is no stat at all thats what i would expect to happen , but it takes ages to see the guage move, can you get the fan to come on? (fan switch is different again)

theres only one sender, if this was goosed it could also cause trouble as thats where the ecu gets its info from, theres a section in the manual to show you how to test it.

Lukemitchell

Cheers for the advice guys..
I'm Off to TGM on Wednesday for a new stat.
Hopefuly that sorts it, il let you no the results 😊👍

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Lukemitchell said:
After some advice.
Only had my dc5 a month or so and up until now it has been fine.
But recently it seems to be running to cold.
If the car is left running the temperature will read just under half and stay there.
But when driving the temperature drops right down to only a couple of bars and on a cold evening will drop so cold that Vtec won't engage..
Coolent levels are okay..
And ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Exact same thing as me then. I thought it was a one-off with mine so interesting to learn that it's common to find them like this.

Thanks for reporting back