Rusty Arches - Creamy/Yellowy Paint

RichA

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

My Car is currently at TGM having a service alloys painted and some arch rust treated.

I had a call yesterday saying that as the rust from the passanger side arch has encroached onto the wing so it would need to be blended into the existing paintwork to get is all matching etc. My issue is that at the moment i'm a little bit tight for cash due to buying a house therefore i'm not really in a position to spend a load of money on the car's paint and bodybody (although it needs it) right now, and will need to revisit it in a couple of months when i have the funds available.

Now obviously the arches need to be sorted out but also my paintwork has definitely seen better days especially on the drivers side where is is more of a championship cream/yellow colour, so it would seems stupid to have the work done and blend into crappy looking paintwork. In people's experience is this something that a good polish can cure or are we talking a load of painting needing doing? and what sort of costs can i expect from people's experience? So I will know what to budget.

Thanks!

Rich

integraleo

Advanced Member
Cw does tend to pick up a yellowy creamy tinge to it over time. After a thorough paint correction with good old dollop of cutting compound,Polish and wax it does bring back a brighter white. I've had 4 cw type r's and they have all done this! After a good cleaning session you would sware it's bright white.....until a diamond white ford parks next to you and it looks cream again lol.

Dannymean

Advanced Member
This was the difference in mine when I had a full paint enhancement by "urban details"

Left side before - right side after.

Massive difference lol

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
If your having paintwork blended in the will usually machine polish the panel first so the blend is the correct shade

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
If your having paintwork blended in the will usually machine polish the panel first so the blend is the correct shade
In addition to this a good painter should be able to blend it in and colour match so it doesn't look like a new colour if you get me, that's what the guy did with mine.

As above, once it's all done get it machine polished and it should bring the colour back to more of a CW. My EK9 suffered from it bad and it was more of a Championship cream.

RichA

Advanced Member
Thanks alot for the helpful info guys, sounds like a good machine polish could be the order of the day first then.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
RichA said:
Thanks alot for the helpful info guys, sounds like a good machine polish could be the order of the day first then.
You don't have to do one before, you can do it after but I'd allow a few weeks first as your paint will need to settle and will still be soft but yeah a machine polish will have it looking so much better.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Crazylegs said:
You don't have to do one before, you can do it after but I'd allow a few weeks first as your paint will need to settle and will still be soft but yeah a machine polish will have it looking so much better.
As Cali says above, it should be done before probably by the bodyshop themselves! This will ensure a better colour match..

Think about it (more so from a CW perspective). Polishing it after paint will alter/brighten the old paint by removing the top layer which has oxidised over time; the new paint however will be fresh, having no oxidation level to alter so will remain the same colour. The old paint could end up being a lighter shade afterwards highlighting the different paints.

Hope that makes sense.