sad times...

JDC5

Charged DC5
Well just as my car was in the for sale section it was involved in an accident and now the car will be a Cat C, I couldnt let the insurance company take my car as salvage so I will keep it and will try to repair it plus convert the car back to standard and sell it.

Just want to ask...

How much are VIC test? also, with regards to an independent engineers report to make sure the car is safe who does this? MOT stations?

Keep your eyes on the for sale section for some good parts

Thanks all

Marachew1

Hi mate.

Im in the same situation except im going to keep it.

Almost back on the road just a little more to do.

A VIC check is only £40 quid. Its only to make sure the car your putting back on the road is the car that was written off. As for the evaluation my insurance company did that before I brought it back of them..

Good luck

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Shocking new's mate, feel for ya.

Here's some info = CLICKY

For future ref (when selling) take some pics if it's not to bad.....

HTH

T.G.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Bad times bud.

Not got much experience with these sort of things but a Cat C is normally a fairly reasonable shunt. With that considered, and the cost of parts/repair, and most likely the difficulty of selling, even at a low price, is it worth it?

All depends how much insurance are paying out and letting you buy it back for, and what mods can be salvaged etc.

JDC5

Charged DC5
Thanks for all the info guys!

The damaged really that I can see is that I need a new steering rack, front wing, I dont know if my top secret front bumper is repairable, new light (one side) plus new alloys as I cracked to off them.

also... will it cost more to re-insure a Cat C car?

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
Thanks for all the info guys!

The damaged really that I can see is that I need a new steering rack, front wing, I dont know if my top secret front bumper is repairable, new light (one side) plus new alloys as I cracked to off them.

also... will it cost more to re-insure a Cat C car?
Should be the same but they will know it's a cat c and if you have another accident they will reduce the value of it, i know that as my son had the same.....

T.G.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Stays the same as far as i'm aware.

My biggest concern would be the car being "straight" or not having a bent chassis leg.

raz786

Advanced Member
No way, gutted for you mate, any idea how much the insurance company will pay out to let you keep the car? Hope it works out well for you mate.

Snowdrift

that's a bastard mate, sorry to hear it. depending on how much the insurance company let you buy it back for, it may be worth breaking the car if its not going to be economical to repair.

shouldn't affect the cost to insure it but some companies have been known to try it on. they will value it less though in the future.

Alex_Wilson

Advanced Member
I have worked in insurance for 5 years now.

Its possible that the premium on the insurance can increase when insuring a written off vehicle. It all depends who you go with though to be honest.

In regards to repairing and then selling it i think you would get more benefit from just breaking the vehicle for parts. Sad and horrible thing to do though :(

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Agreed. If you break it you'll see buyers queuing up for stuff. If you keep it, repair as cat c and sell you will have to sell it for peanuts (less than what it's worth in parts) and will potentially have a much longer wait on your hands to sell. The majority of potential buyers will be looking for one that's completely straight. Start selling your interior and mechanical parts first and you'll be surprised at just how quickly it will all add up. Even the shell may well be wanted by someone for a track project or something

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
For what you'd sell a repaired one for and for the hassle you'd go through getting it fixed up I'd want to either keep it, or forget about repairing it and break for parts.