SC or Cams?

dave7368

Advanced Member
Hi there all, just after some advice/opinions about what next to do with my car, have a 2005 DC5 it's had a few mods, DC Sports manifold and system, AEM cai and a kpro, looking to go further now, need to empty my bank account, have about 3k spare and not sure where to go, cams or supercharger? I've read good and bad reports about both so any help would be great thanks! Traders welcome to help me out too.... Cheers guys,

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
Depends, are you chasing BHP/Torque figures? Then go for the S/C

Personally id go for a good set of cams, keep it N/a, good power/response..

S/c will give you around 300BHP+
Cams with a good setup around 275BHP

Though the s/c will pull you into the nearest ditch, so save money for coilovers and a good Geo setup

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
Hi there all, just after some advice/opinions about what next to do with my car, have a 2005 DC5 it's had a few mods, DC Sports manifold and system, AEM cai and a kpro, looking to go further now, need to empty my bank account, have about 3k spare and not sure where to go, cams or supercharger? I've read good and bad reports about both so any help would be great thanks! Traders welcome to help me out too.... Cheers guys,
Hi mate,

After reading your thread, its basically same as what i started off in my thread viewtopic.php?t=24058 . Basically i couldnt decide which one to go for out of the two, but in the end after a long debate i went for cams as that was what honda intended to make them NA so ive gone this route. And tell you what im really happy i did! \:D/ Ive only had the whole job done only a few weeks ago so not had time to update my thread with all the details and pics of the engine mod but i will do very soon once i get time from doing OT from work to replenish my bank account :lol:

i got 272bhp and 174lbft of power and torque and believe me this is enough as the car is soooooooooooo quick and responsive its unbelieveable!! You wont be dissapointed.

Supercharger route is slightly cheaper than going NA as its a bolt on and tuning and you get the power for bucks whereas with NA it will cost you slightly more due to the time to fit and tune but NA suited me more as i just love the roar of the cams especially vtec :twisted:

Alot of people tend to go the supercharger route as its a bit cheaper and you get more power for your money but in my opinion its just toooo much power for the front wheels so that's one of the reasons why i went NA. Power isnt everything as at the end of the day its how the power is delivered and how it drives is the most important. It really depends on what you want at the end of the day. I hope this helps you matey with your decision :)

Let me know what you think mate after reading my thread :D

Hoodster

Advanced Member
I wouldn't have dreamed about putting a s/c on my 5 until I had a go in one with one on, very smooth power delivery keeping the car easy to drive around town not jerky and easy to stall like cams.
I'm pretty sure that 3k isn't enough to supercharge a k20a though unless you go for a cheap s/c but personally I would go for a rotrex awesome piece of kit, and it shouldn't be knocked unless you've driven one theres so much torque at all rev ranges.

dave7368

Advanced Member
hey, cheers for your opinions guys, seems to me cams are the way forward.. I'll be looking for it to be done in the new year, :D

alucardo

Advanced Member
Personally Id go SC just becuase it is bolt on and alot easier to take the SC off and sell on regaining a good amount of money and returning the car to standard which seem to sell better than modded dc5's . Thats from a purely finnancial point of view id probably prefer the drive of cams but teh above would be a factor for me.

JDC5

Charged DC5
S/C or cams... Well of course I would say S/C all the way! But on a serious note, the reason why I went supercharged was because I like to how the power come in everytime I put my foot down, not switching down a gear to get into vtec then comes the power. A supercharger suits my driving style better... Also the other reason I went S/C was the money side. I want more for my money and N/A tunning you will need deep pockets and my pockets are only small, even my little finger has trouble getting a fiver out of it.

Also no matter what tunning u decide it will affect the life span of the engine, but as long as you take care of the car, have a good map running and waiting till engine is warm before booting the car you will be fine.

So my verdict is go S/C if you want power and more for your money, or Stay N/A if u like revving the car up pass vtec and have deep pockets

JD

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
JDC5 said:
Not switching down a gear to get into vtec then comes the power. A supercharger suits my driving style better...
or Stay N/A if u like revving the car up pass vtec and have deep pockets
Ahhh now thats why we all luv our Vtec's, driving it kicking and screaming up to the 6k rev's to get the Vtec power, otherwise ya mite as well get a Turbo Diesel! [-X

;) :D

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
First... no matter what you do when tuning your car... when you start to play with the internals of the engine.. or add heat via charging.. you will cause wear... and thus, long term you will need to service / replace parts and worst case the whole engine :!:

This is my opinion from the super charger route > Don't. Reason.. I had a Jackson charger on my DC5.. running 8 to 9psi.. it had covered 10k miles, then was found to be running 'hot'. On closer inspection, it was found that the bores on the engine had elongated, which you would normally expect to see / witness on an engine that had covered 100k miles :shock: so... heat will age your engine.. thus in my opinion if you go this route... keep your PSI low. Anything like 9psi or above.. and your asking for the bill to rebuild or replace your engine :(

As I said above, even Cam's will cause long term issues.. just be careful and select ones that are not too aggressive on how they open and close the valves ( slope & ramp angles ), match the valves springs / retainers etc... i.e. treat it as a system, and also look at the 'other' systems within the engine changing the cams will effect.

It's not easy :eek:

Mike

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
VT-Doo said:
Sounds to me you were running a little lean and/or not an adequate cooling system.
Ian.... I know that it wasn't running lean... but maybe the cooling system wasn't that good.... and the fact the Jackson has no boost air cooling system! After a certain RPM on this type of charger.. all it makes is more heat... as I learned this caused damage...

But.. as stated.. if a change, whether FI or NA is done to an engine.. then consideration should be given to the whole system... and how the little systems work togeather.

Mike

dave c

400hp K20
I was really tempted to put an offer in on the Rotrex SC kit that was for sale on here a while ago (ollies) but tbh i turbo charged my last car and it ended in two exploded engines and a large bill :shock: :? :D . If you are going to go Forced Induction you really should do it all properly... as in, build a fully forged low (or lower) compression engine and upgraded cooling is a must.

To be honest nitrous on a system like that would actually help intake temps but thats another topic all together.

Personally i love the N/A style of driving, revving the nuts off it rather than going pussy footed and trying to avoid boost serge but thats just me.

For these cars i would think that the full buddyclub engine build sounds like the most tempting option and after seeing it go on the track it is VERY impressive.

After that i would say SC and/or Nitrous

After that it would be mild N/A tune as in cams + intake + exhaust

Finally, turbo - tbh i think it would ruin a DC5 in all honesty but to be fair... it would be awesome in a straight line lol. :green:

my 2p

What ever you decide make sure to keep a blog going ;)