screech..

boz5r

Advanced Member
HI NOT SURE IF THIS IS RELATED TO YHE WEATHER ATM BUT THE CAR MAKES A SHORT SHARP SCREECH JUST AFTER IGNITION BUT ONLY IN THE MORNINGS ANY IDEAS ANYONE CHEERS.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
quite normal this time of year, can be one of two things
1st belt slipping due to battery needing more from the alternator, as the alternator is under load it causes the belt to slip
2nd starter motor sticking

danr19

Advanced Member
Hi, I've had my DC5 for 3 weeks and have just noticed the same thing...... It's happened the last 2 times I've started the car up (both cold mornings, and after the car has been sat for a couple/few days) - it's a very short sharp sound. In addition, a belt's squeaking for a few minuites after starting, and until the engine has warmed up. Looking at what the other replies said, and the fact the belt on mine squeaks a bit too.....it sounds like it's happening because the belt is loose. boz5r - Does the belt on yours carry on squeaking for a while as if it's loose?

boz5r

Advanced Member
Hi danr19 no it doesnt last long it sounds like when u turn the key the wrong way when its already running if that makes sense tho it doesnt do it every day ill have a word with tom next time im at tgm tho it has just past the 96kmark .

danr19

Advanced Member
From how you’ve described that initial screech it sounds like the same as mine – and as you said, ‘short and sharp’ – it’s literally for a split second straight after ignition (although it hasn’t happened since those first two times - but then it hasn’t been as cold where I live). The belt on mine definitely sounds like it’s loose though (that’s all I meant by the sound I hear afterwards – but I hear that whether it screeches first or not). From the last response it looks like I need a new belt (thanks very much by the way). Hope you get it sorted.