Scuttle mod question....

jo3y

My Gruppe M should be arriving on the 6th and my car is booked in at TDi north on the 7th to have it and a Mugen twin loop fitted. After hearing about the rattles and seeing the shody shiney plastic on the Gruppe M scuttle I want to mod the OEM one.

Can I mod my scuttle before the Gruppe M arrives?

I've already thought of a coupe of issues:

- In the guide it says I have to use the Gruppe M scuttle to measure out the area for cutting out of the OEM. Is there a way around this?

- Will the hole that's created cause any issues if it rains heavily and water gets in there? I can't see this being an issue but thought I best check first.

If either of the above are show stoppers it'll give me one night to do the work and that's weather permitting, so my final question is - how difficult will it be for me to mod my oem scuttle and fit it at a later date?

Cheers,

Charlie

weejase

Advanced Member
Hi charlie, There Is a guide on here for how to mod the oem scuttle :wink:

You will be able to tell from the pic on the how to guide where to cut.

It Is fairly easy to do and should only take a couple of hours.

Halfrauds sells all the stuff you need and should cost about a tenner all In.

I wouldn`t worry about rain or water getting In either.

ps yhpm.

jase.

jo3y

weejase said:
Hi charlie, There Is a guide on here for how to mod the oem scuttle :wink:

You will be able to tell from the pic on the how to guide where to cut.

It Is fairly easy to do and should only take a couple of hours.

Halfrauds sells all the stuff you need and should cost about a tenner all In.

I wouldn`t worry about rain or water getting In either.

ps yhpm.

jase.
Cheers Jase... But I don't fancy guessing where to cut from a picture, I'm worried enough about screwing this up as it is so I'll have to be sure!

mikegsi

Staff member
im with you mate, i would wait till it came so i could do it accurately rather than guessing from a picture and having the possibility og getting it slightly out, but then i've never done this as i was happy enough with the gruppem scuttle and the evs pipe lagging on strut bar trick to help hold it in place, mine never squeked or moved once this was done

MattDC5

Advanced Member
If you really want to do it now i can send you my GruppeM scuttle to use as a template as long as you cover p&p.

Its not really that bad though and cn be lived with until you get round to modding after the GruppeM is fitted.

Allen

Advanced Member
Has anyone drivin with a Gruppe M without the scuttle on?
Whilst making mine i realised i didnt have a spray paint, quickly jumped in and drove to get some...
:shock: The noise was that good i considered not puttin it back on, must be the air being sucked in over the bonnet. get the same induction noise but a full on sucking sound aswell...
I thought it was good anyway :lol:

jo3y

OK cheers guys... guess I'll have TDI fit the Gruppe M and modify the OEM scuttle when I get chance

jo3y

It's just arrived today. Two days ahead of Shedule so I may just have time to get this done before thursday :D

dotty

Advanced Member
Right, I have a spare scuttle and a Gruppe M (yes the Arc will be for sale soon)

Does anyone have a template for modding the oem scuttle ?

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
I just marked round the end of the intake against the scuttle and got the dremel out;) Marked it whilst still fitted, sides and top then did the underneath when off the the car......Hot plastic flying everywhere when using the dremel LOL

T.G.