Sealant vs Wax on White Cars

coolerking

Advanced Member
Heres some great info from professionals on their recommendations for white cars, thought this woud help with all our CW tegs

http://www.polishedb...protection.html

Many people find it difficult to achieve an excellent finish on solid white and light metallic/pearlescent colours, no matter how well they prepare their paint. This is because the lightness of tone precludes a high degree of reflectivity and thus makes it hard to achieve a finish with any real clarity and depth. Furthermore, this lack of reflectivity can also limit how wet the paint looks, as fewer highlights are shown up in the finish. However, these problems can largely be overcome by choosing a synthetic polymer sealant instead of a natural carnauba wax as the last step product. This is because sealants tend to lay down an exceptionally smooth, highly dense surface coating that reflects light far more efficiently than a microscopically rougher, less dense natural carnauba wax coating, and this can add a significant amount of wetness to the appearance of the paint, as more highlights are shown up in the finish. Moreover, the same smoothing properties also minimise any scattering of light caused by micro-structures in the surface of the paint, meaning that reflections are afforded greater clarity and depth, and that metallic and pearlescent flakes receive more transmitted light and thus appear to stand out more from the base colour (a phenomenon commonly referred to as flake pop).

Out of the various synthetic polymer sealant systems we stock, we favour the Werkstat Acrylic Kit for optimal results on solid white and light metallic/pearlescent colours. This is because it delivers an incredible level of reflectivity characterised by amazing clarity and depth, and makes metallic and pearlescent flakes stand out from the base colour more than any other product we have ever used. Indeed, on some light metallic colours we have worked on, it has literally made the flake appear to explode out of the surface of the paint when viewed in direct sunlight. Further benefits afforded by the Werkstat Acrylic Kit include terrific ease of use, even in cold and damp conditions, and excellent durability, with a single application of the three component system typically lasting for around three months on a daily driver, although this can be extended almost indefinitely if regular quick detailing is undertaken. If your budget is too small to stretch to the Werkstat Acrylic Kit, there are two alternative options worth considering. The first is Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection, which delivers an equally intense wet looking shine, albeit with a little less flake pop. The second is Poorboy's EX-P Sealant, which delivers a sharp wet looking shine with good flake pop and offers excellent value for money.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Very interesting, thanks.
Just to add, I've used the poorboys EX-P sealant and didn't like it.

martinj46

Advanced Member
Cheers for that. The guys at Polished Bliss are so knowledgable, and always happy to help out when I've been in

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Very interesting, thanks.
Just to add, I've used the poorboys EX-P sealant and didn't like it.
I've tried that on Adams C/W car and he and I both noticed it was no different to Meguiars Ultimate Wax (which is technically a 'sealant' too) lol

coolerking

Advanced Member
Maybe notice a difference with a dedicated sealant, i've tried zymol glasur, swissvax best of show and neither give as good a finish as the werkstat range

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I'm going to get some werkstat and see if there is any difference at all, will be using it on Adams car vs some carnauba plus. :)

See if I'm missing anything by not having a white car, lol

*EDIT

Just bought some, be here hopefully by Monday, will get Adam over and we can do a write-up on it.

Looking forward to it! :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
i'd use the carnauba on yours and the acrylic range on adam's, 2 base coats of prime then 3 layers of jett
Lol, so I need the Prime to make the Acrylic Jet look it's best?

Will just try the Jett for now as they say "Don't confuse Acrylic Jett: Trigger with a mere quick detailer. This is a fully functional, independent paint sealant. " So will use it as exactly that.

Will make sure I do 3 layers though, thanks for the info!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Seems a lot of faf to me. So how much is the whole kit that a person would need to get this result? And does it matter on the paintwork as you would need a very good, clean and clear surface to start with surely?! Flake pop, sounds like American jargon to me for shiny.

Adam

coolerking

Advanced Member
Take a look on the studio section on detailing world you'll see what flake pop is, think i was about 60 quid for the prime, jett trigger and glos, lasts ages as well, theres a kit you can buy on polishedbliss

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I used to use poorboys, but switched to werkstat a couple of years back; much prefer it personally. Yes the prime adds a good base coat but it's the cleaning ability that wows me more than the base coat it lays down. IMO you need it before the acrylic. Sure you can use the acrylic independently but the finish isn't as good. I find it enhances the shine as opposed to QDs which just maintain a finish. This is only based on my own experience.

Look forward to your test P. definitely recommend getting prime as a paint cleaner.

coolerking

Advanced Member
^ totally agree with all that, prime is a great cleanser, toying with wolf chemicals haed body for winter, mate is applying it on his white gti, so ill check how that looks

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I better buy some prime then!

Otherwise it wont be fair....

*EDIT, all done....

£41 spent on the two, just to see if its true what some people keep telling me, lol.

If it's as good as they say, I may have to switch to CW! lol

Magic

It's alot of money to shell out on the entire 3 part system. Personally I prefer Zaino. Zaino Z2 looks amazing on light coloured cars, white and silver in particular. Leaves a very glossy finish and you can layer it by itself or with waxes.

I disagree with the part about white being difficult to achieve wetness and depth. It all boils down to final product choice. Glaze, seal, wax etc. When doing my facebook writeups I always make reference to "anything is possible".

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
It's alot of money to shell out on the entire 3 part system. Personally I prefer Zaino. Zaino Z2 looks amazing on light coloured cars, white and silver in particular. Leaves a very glossy finish and you can layer it by itself or with waxes.

I disagree with the part about white being difficult to achieve wetness and depth. It all boils down to final product choice. Glaze, seal, wax etc. When doing my facebook writeups I always make reference to "anything is possible".

I don't know you that well but I like you already, lol.