Searched but no luck

osiras

Advanced Member
Just done an oil change but was wondering how muc the engine should take. Have used the whole 5 litres, turned it over, filled up the filter as normal, still needs more? what is the capacity? 5.5litres?....6?

know there is no doubt its been covered, but couldn't find the actual figure

thanks for everyones time

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
I've only changed mine once but iirc i didn't need more than just the 5 litre bottle :?

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
Strange one this. Obvious/stupid question but you do have the sump plug on tight yes? :)

osiras

Advanced Member
Oh crap, so nobody has had this issue before? Sump nut and filter both on properly, sump nut on tight and filter on hand tight

jay82

Advanced Member
around 5litres sounds about right, but six :shock:
unless its leaking out the filter or the sump.
i forgot to replace my sump bolt washer before and it only lost 250ml, but stick cardoard under her and leave it over night cause i think it could be leaking from somewhere. but if theres six litres of oil in the engine i don't know what would happen :xconfused:

markie

Advanced Member
Whenever i changed mine it always took around the 5.5 ltrs of oil. my fd2 is the same.the way to check the oil is to have it running a couple of minutes to get it up to normal running tempature , leave to stand for a couple of minutes then check your oil level. if you check it from stone cold you will not get an accurate reading as all your oil has run down from the head.

osiras

Advanced Member
It has only taken 5.5 litres. Its no way 6. But i will do as you've suggested to check for a leak. Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate your comments

brucey87

Advanced Member
when honda serviced mine i gave them 5 litres to use and they said it wasnt quite enough so they topped it up with thier own stuff for free. it took just under six apparently

Rob84

Advanced Member
was the car on level ground when you checked the level?

My car has had 2 oil changes while i've had it and both times its NEVER needed more then 5 litres. There was always a 300ml or so left in the container.

The oil filter doesn't need priming when you fit it, just simply the o-ring needs smearing with oil to help create a good seal. You need to get the oil up to working temp, so about 5 miles/15 mins of driving, and then leave it to stand for about 10-15 mins to allow for all the oil to drain down back into the sump. with close to 6 litres in i'm sure it's going to be well overfilled although i'm not sure if this could be dangerous or not

osiras

Advanced Member
some people are saying over 5 litres, some are saying never over 5 litres. I've definately put about 5 and a possibly a quater. Checking it now it looks slightly over the max mark. Hard to tell with just new oil. Going drain a little tomorrow and check again. But surely someone with a handbook must know the exact input of oil needed for an oil change?

thanks for everyones help.

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
osiras said:
some people are saying over 5 litres, some are saying never over 5 litres. I've definately put about 5 and a possibly a quater. Checking it now it looks slightly over the max mark. Hard to tell with just new oil. Going drain a little tomorrow and check again. But surely someone with a handbook must know the exact input of oil needed for an oil change?

thanks for everyones help.
Is the car on even ground? My ex's grandad topped her car up for her when it was parked on his drive - a massive slope. It didnt need any oil as i checked it a few days before :?

combo

I was a bit surprised when mine took just over 5 litres to sit in the middle.

This might sound a bit silly but I suppose it might make a difference to what oil you're using too. If its quite a thick oil, it'll take slightly longer to settle down.

Rob84

Advanced Member
just to add, the RSX workshop manual states that you would need 4.7 litres to do an oil change with including a filter. make of that what you will... :wink:

jay82

Advanced Member
think all this is gonna be abit conusing after awhile :lol:
but i do buy 5.5litres and have a little over half a litre left for top ups between services
but agree with combo different oils could be thicker than others and oem filters and bigger than hamp filters