Second gear crunching?

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Hi,

Has anyone noticed their second gear harder to engage now we've been having some cold weather? I recently had an uprated clutch, flywheel and diff put in by TGM and while it was open Tom changed the 3/4, 5/6 synchro and various bearings. He didn't change the 1/2 synchro as he said there was nothing wrong with it and also it's about £400 from Honda!(The others are only about £200)

Everything has been ok, but now we've been having some cold weather it's been increasingly hard to select second from first, and even worse going from third to second. It eases up abit once warmed up but still crunches intermittently. Any ideas??

Are there different gear oils that work better at colder temps? It has the latest Honda MTF in it now.

Ollie

MattDC5

Advanced Member
Thought this was a common problem. Heard people moving off from 2nd when the cars cold.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Yep, but even once warm it's still crunchy intermittently, and it's the fact that I've been told there was nothing wrong with the 1/2 synchro. Just trying to work out what's wrong. Annoying!

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
There probably isn't anything wrong with the synchro, it is a well known EP3 and DC5 gearbox failing.

Just drive around 2nd when cold, annoying I know but its one of the very few niggles with the DC5 so I just live with it.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
used to be the same in my dc2 aswell...

i remember i put in some silkolene race gearbox oil and it helped quite a bit, maybe worth a go?

pudski

Advanced Member
I use the Amsoil stuff from opie oils, change it every spring
and have no problems :wink:

gregb

Advanced Member
Also if i had no time to wait for the car to warm up i`d just go to 3rd from 1st i found it easier.
Seems fine after a couple of shifts later but on occassion it would still feel rougher to engage than other gears.

rick c

Advanced Member
2nd gear was always quite difficult to engage on my old 306 Rallye, particularly in the cold. I once tried Silkolene Gearbox Oil and it was even worse, so I changed back to standard stuff which seemed much better.

logik

Advanced Member
This is a known problem with the DC5 gearbox. As far as i know there was changes made late into the facelift model and people have sent their cars in to have the 1/2 rebuilt.

I changed my gearbox oil to Amsoil MTF and it is alot better but it still happens when the car is cold. I just live with it.

I also sometimes skip 2nd gear until the car gets warmed up. 1st to 3rd.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
OK, cheers fella's. Will probably try a different oil. If that fails will just have to live with it.

Jayk

Advanced Member
I dont know why this is a common problem, ive had 3 pre facelift DC5 upto 70,000 miles some of them and no problems using Honda MTF3. These boxes are supposed to be stronger than the DC2 as having more syncro's. Ive never crunched mine be it on the road or track.

Also you dont want to be using very thin oil as it makes it worse as the syncro's slip. Mardi Gras Motorsport advised me to Stick the Honda MTF.

spike

When was the last time you changed it though ?

I work in a Honda dealers and was advised by the head technican to ONLY use Honda MTF in Honda boxes. You wont get anything else close to it, the only thing being 10W 40 engine oil..

I found mine a bit crunchy going into second in the mornings, but since ive changed the oil it's stopped.

A few of my mates with DC2s and EK9s have tried several different oils in their gearboxes and all have come to the conclusion that the MTF 2 is the best they've used. It's not that expensive either.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
It was changed about two months ago by TGM when I had my gearbox work done. Will probably just leave it as it is and just put up with it.

g_mac

wheres the best place to get the Honda MTF II oil as i want to change my gearbox oil soon as its never been done? and i noticed mine crunching goin in2 2nd last wkend, 1st ive had it out in a while so thought it was my driving :p

spike

g_mac said:
wheres the best place to get the Honda MTF II oil as i want to change my gearbox oil soon as its never been done? and i noticed mine crunching goin in2 2nd last wkend, 1st ive had it out in a while so thought it was my driving :p
Any main dealer should have it in stock. We only get it in 25LT drums, but we give it out by the litre. You need a little less then 2 1/2 litres.