Sequential Gear Box...

Tom DC5

Does anyone know of or even heard of a company that produces a sequential gearbox for the DC5? any info would be awsome xthumbup

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there are several available,
but expect costs to be between £8-20,000 depends on which one and what you have to modify to fit,

at one time Ikeya were working on a sequential shifter for a dc5, but I have never seen or heard of it being completed, it would require gearbox mods, expect it (if ever available) to cost around £1000

sn:afu

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
there are several available,
but expect costs to be between £8-20,000 depends on which one and what you have to modify to fit,

at one time Ikeya were working on a sequential shifter for a dc5, but I have never seen or heard of it being completed, it would require gearbox mods, expect it (if ever available) to cost around £1000
Furniture and sequential gearboxes, interesting business strategy :lol:

Paul G

Members
Tom DC5 said:
Does anyone know of or even heard of a company that produces a sequential gearbox for the DC5? any info would be awsome xthumbup
Mardi gras do them think there 8K & need a rebuild every 4 races :shock: :shock:

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I was watching the BTCC the other and looking at the sequential gearboxes they use makes me drool.

Found this clip, I know it's only a Fiesta but this one is running a Quaife 5 Speed box.

I love the noise off the box, imagine having a gearbox like this in your DC5, it would be amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhPnwIe7yfk

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
since my previous posts i and TGM have fitted a few quaife boxes to dc5's and the FD2 we race in the Endurance championship,

they use half a dc5 casing and some of their own, currently they are only 5 speed and have various gear sets available including some custom ratios that were made for us specifically.

they use dog selectors so can be used without the clutch and have a switch to be able to use an rpm cut etc,

HOWEVER, they arnt really suitable for road use, they are hellish noisy and not friendly for the street. i have a video of the car running on the ramp , it will give you an idea of the racket it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhOGhqazXJw

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks for the info Simon.

I did find a clip on Youtube about the Quaife box they do for the K20.

That does sound noisy but I've always loved the noise off straight cut and sequential boxes going back to when I first heard a rally car close up, the whining noise sounds amazing.

Can I ask - why is it they sound so rattly like that. Is it because most cars are race/rally therefore they've been stripped of all sound proofing or would this type of gearbox sound clunky/rattly like this in a road car anyway?

You said one wouldn't be suitable for a road/everyday car is. Is this because ideally you need to be in high revs all the time or will it simply not change gear in low revs?

How much are they for a box like this, is it like 10k something like that?

Here's the Quaife one on a Civic Type R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzNwe6PhwU

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
That dc2 at the ring is fantastic. Still had to operate and rev match for downshifts and manually lift on throttle (no switch) on the up shifts but still saves times and removes risk of buzzing the engine with a mis shift!

Think the boxes sound like that because there not helical cut gears and are just straight cut but could be wrong

My final drive doesn't bang and rattle like those but it wines nicely on the over run so sounds a little like them

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
That dc2 at the ring is fantastic. Still had to operate and rev match for downshifts and manually lift on throttle (no switch) on the up shifts but still saves times and removes risk of buzzing the engine with a mis shift!

Think the boxes sound like that because there not helical cut gears and are just straight cut but could be wrong

My final drive doesn't bang and rattle like those but it wines nicely on the over run so sounds a little like them

Yes, that DC2 clip is quality. Spent most of last night watching clips of various cars with sequential boxes including an M3 E46 at Oulton ha ha!

Always wondered why they sounded like that, most people would be put off by the noise but I don't think us petrolheads would. Going to have a read up on the difference between Helical and straight cut later on.

Interesting to hear yours whines with the final drive as well Dan, have you got any in-car clips at all so I can have a listen? Do you like the whining noise they make too?

You know the final drive, does it make a massive difference to how the car pulls etc, what's the difference between a 5.1 and 5.46 like you've got?

Sorry I know I keep asking loads of questions.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, check out my YouTube page link in sig. Ask syler re: how she pulls :) mega difference between 5.1 and 5.46

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Yep, check out my YouTube page link in sig. Ask syler re: how she pulls :) mega difference between 5.1 and 5.46

Just had a listen to some of them.

So does the final drive mean the revs don't drop off as much in each gear right?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
No, that's determined by the individual gear ratios which are unchanged on my setup except for 6th. The final drive is the final ratio to the wheels so it affects all gears and lowers them all

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ahhh right, I get you.

Interesting, definitely pulls better than a standard teg and I can also hear the whine too.

Sounds good mate!

Are you going to Japfest 2 Dan?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The noise is because of the lack of helical cut gears, the banging etc is because of the dog engagement rings , the noise is pretty severe and would become tiresome really quickly on a road car, the boxes are around £6K but i think you need to supply an empty casing,

5.1 final is a very worthwhile mod, you can use the shaft and gear from a crv (thats what spoon use) really helps the car get out of corners but will increase rpm on the motorway

i think we now have three different gearsets for the quaife box to suit the different circuits,