Service history

coconat

Advanced Member
Right folks, it seems a lot of people are divided on this and I wanted to know what you do for service history.

Obviously you're lucky if you get a service history book, I received mine on importing last year. I then bought a Honda service history book for all yearly service stamps

I've changed the oil, plugs, and put in a magnetic sump about 5 months/6k miles ago

I want to change the oil again on a 6 month interval but this time I want the yearly service so I can get the history built for it

A lot of people seem to think that 'it doesn't matter' with imports but I was always led to believe that people would steer well clear of a car without it. Especially as mine has done 13k miles in it's first year here. I don't think receipts and mileage notes of the work done is good enough

How do others feel? Would you pay near 10k for a jap import/DC5 with no stamps? Or would you be happy enough to see receipts/recording of miles when things were done etc.?

Erm

Advanced Member
coconat said:
Right folks, it seems a lot of people are divided on this and I wanted to know what you do for service history.

Obviously you're lucky if you get a service history book, I received mine on importing last year. I then bought a Honda service history book for all yearly service stamps

I've changed the oil, plugs, and put in a magnetic sump about 5 months/6k miles ago

I want to change the oil again on a 6 month interval but this time I want the yearly service so I can get the history built for it

A lot of people seem to think that 'it doesn't matter' with imports but I was always led to believe that people would steer well clear of a car without it. Especially as mine has done 13k miles in it's first year here. I don't think receipts and mileage notes of the work done is good enough

How do others feel? Would you pay near 10k for a jap import/DC5 with no stamps?
Wouldn't bother me, I paid 16k for a 2 year old DC5 over 10 years ago with no service history from Japan.

If you've bought a service book I don't really see what the problem is? Its rare for anyone to get service history from Japan so if you keep a record since you got the car over here its as much as anyone could expect? Anyone could easily fake a service history, i'm sure if you look hard enough on the net you can find pre-stamped main dealer service books for sale that you can fill in any info you wanted. If anything i'd say receipts of work done is probably just as good.

For me its more about the person you are buying it from if they look a genuine car person that would have looked after it and not worried about spending what they had to on the car if it needed it.

I have no service history for mine, but then again I won't ever sell it.

Wouldn't put me off buying a car if I did the usual checks that you would do with any car.

Dan34

Advanced Member
My build thread is my service history :lol:

But on a serious note, service history isn't a massive worry to me as long as the car seems to be looked after.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Who stamps it and who the receipt is from is more important for me.

All my receipts are from Grindpeed

Mark_teg

Staff member
As above really.. I service mine myself and hope that the way I look after speaks enough in itself to aid the sale.

Just keep the receipts for buying oils/filters and log the mileage on them. If the car is worth less as a result of this 'lack' of history, then the money you've saved by doing it yourself will more than make up for it :)

There's also the problem (for me) of who to trust servicing it.. I trust TGM, but not driving there just for a service!

Plus, I also never plan on selling ;)

Hope that helps Nat.

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
Same as above. Mine had plenty of service history but the only thing Honda done were the valve clearances rest was from TGM and then I just kept the reciepts for what I done. Still got oil changes every 6 months / 1.5k miles a bit overkill though lol.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mine came with no service history or book whatsoever bar some service stamps which are found on the inside of the door. Darren at Torque GT told me it has 4 stamps which indicates it's been very well serviced whilst over in Japan and I've kept receipts for every single thing I've done or bought for the car since I've had it.

Now I didn't know too much about these cars and I was quite shocked when he said it comes with no service history bar the stamps but obviously I made the purchase anyhow as I loved the look of the car and it looked mint and I kind of went on the word of the people on here that Torque GT have a great reputation.

It does seem the norm that these cars don't come with service history and it's reassuring to read that it shouldn't affect the sale of the car. I would for my own peace of mind like a book from Honda just to get it stamped each time it's serviced.

How much does a service book cost?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Couldn't have said it better myself Mark :)

As Dan says, take some pics when it's getting services and update your build thread. Job done.

ste01

Advanced Member
I don't think service stamps matter as long as it's got lots receipts for work and you can see it's cared for with no big gaps in the jobs done to it. I have some Honda service check sheets like they use for the small and large interval services and I just check off what I do and file them with the relevant receipts.

It was very important to me having the Japanese history with mine, but only because it was a fresh import and I could read the service notes and see what was last done to it (I speak Japanese). For most people though I doubt the Japanese history is very important to them as it won't mean much, even more so if they are buying it with UK history.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Mine had/has no service book but stacks of TGM receipts. I'm the 4th owner of mine in the UK now, during the period of the 2nd owner it had no service history what so ever but TGM said the lad who owned it bought all the parts from them and serviced it himself also that he looked after it, I was happy enough to hear that from them that it hadn't been neglected. Obviously it does give you doubts if there is a lack of history and no Japanese papers but it's just a risk you take when buying an import and seems to be worth it with the DC5 imo.

Rom

Advanced Member
I doubt mine is going to come with any history when it arrives. And even if it does....i dont read Japanese!

A lot of my friends are grilling me, saying how can i spend so much on a car with no history, that ive not tested etc. But whats the alternative? I bet most cars from import came with nothing. If Erms 2 year old one didnt, why should a 10 year old etc have any.

I will keep every receipt, and log a build thread like i normally do. A good build thread is worth a lot in terms of assurance for a buyer. I sold my CRx SiR to a guy from Jersey or Gurnsey, for very good money, he paid a big deposit to secure it upfront. Based purely off my build thread. There will be stuff in there that no service book could ever show.

Ive been thinking along the lines of anyone who has these cars in Japan, must be reasonably keen on them, and into the whole experience. It stands to reason they would have at the very least, basic servicing. In all honesty, they are probaby like a lot of us. Changing oil way too often etc and over servicing!

bennn

Advanced Member
I'd consider one without history but the history was definitely a factor when buying mine. I've got none from Japan but it's been to honda every year for a service since import in 2007 despite only covering around 2500 miles annually.

I normally service my cars myself but took it back to Honda for it's service and MOT just to keep the book stamped.

Whether or not it will be worth while doing I don't know but I'm hoping I'll get top dollar for it if I do sell it on. It's in immaculate condition so putting gaps in it's service history didn't seem to make sense to me for the sake of saving £100 or so.