Servicing? When?

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Hi Guys,

I have the full service history for my car, I bought it from Torque back in April and they said it had recently been serviced.

I'm trying to find out when it is due for another one just so I can plan it but as the service history is all in japanese i'm struggling. I'm the first UK owner so don't have anything English to go on.

Whats the best way to find out when the next service is due?

Thanks, Matt.

rick c

Advanced Member
Well the next service will be due in 10,000 miles (oil change in 5k unless you've got a good fully synth) As for individual parts, there's no real way to tell unfortunately, unless you can find someone who reads japanese.

I didn't take any chances with mine and asked Andy to replace the oil, filter, gearbox oil, fuel filter, air filter and brake fluid. Its all reasonably inexpensive and now I know for definite when it was all changed. Mine was on 8,400 miles so I left the spark plugs for now.

logik

Advanced Member
To be honest mate, if you are very unsure about the dates etc. Just send it in for a service and start planning them from that point.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Thanks for the replys,

Might take it down to the local onda garage and see what they recommend. Will be a good test to see what sort of garage they are!

Thanks, Matt.

big steve

Honda will prob recommend every 10,000 miles mate.

I service my DC5 every 4,000miles. I would recommend doing it well before 10,000 miles. especially if you are going to drive it hard.

I work in a garage and it is a good time to shop around for a good price on your service coz all garages are quite at the min and are desperate for work.

Also be careful as most garages will try to find extra work on your car that it might not really need. Trust me, as most garages i have worked at the bosses try to get us to do it when it is quite. :!:

LeeH

Advanced Member
big steve said:
Paul Type R said:
Aren't the service intervals 12500 miles according to the manual?
:shock: :shock:

I wouldnt like to leave my car that long before i changed the oil.
That's the official interval.

...for average folk driving normally.

I do my oil and filter every 6k or six months.

Paul Type R

LeeH said:
big steve said:
Paul Type R said:
Aren't the service intervals 12500 miles according to the manual?
:shock: :shock:

I wouldnt like to leave my car that long before i changed the oil.
That's the official interval.

...for average folk driving normally.

I do my oil and filter every 6k or six months.
Yeah most people change the oil half way through the interval. Mind you if you're using top quality synthetics and you're not into tracking your car every month 12.5K should still be fine.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
If your oil is clean there is no problem to leave it in for 12 months or more.

it does not need to be changed as often as people think,

HOWEVER, for peace of mind and if the car gets a hard life i would change it when it started to go off colour or before every race.

big steve

I drive mine quite hard thats why i change it every 4000. I get the oil from work for free thats the only reason i change it so regular :lol:

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
big steve said:
I drive mine quite hard thats why i change it every 4000. I get the oil from work for free thats the only reason i change it so regular :lol:
You shouldn't use mcdonalds cooking oil in your car :lol:

WestYorkshireman

Advanced Member
I probably do approx 8000 miles in 12months and use Silkolene Pro fully synthetic so mine gets changed once a year along with the odd top up when needed.

big steve

ian.herm01 said:
big steve said:
You shouldn't use mcdonalds cooking oil in your car :lol:
I dont think the chips would taste very nice cooked in 5-30w

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Well I took the car to the local honda garage today and they recommended a 50k service. It was last serviced at 40,500 miles and it's just hit 51 so this sounds about right.

However, they gave me a quote based on a civic type r as they don't have the dc5 on the system. They reckon changing the oil, oil filter, air filter and a couple of small things (A washer for example 31p) will cost £268.

Thats all parts and two hours labout at £70 per hour plus VAT.

Now to me that sounds a bit expensive, I know it is a dealer but I just don't know. If it was about £150 I would go for it just to keep the Full Honda service history, but do people really care about this these days or do they just want a full service history with receipts?

The normal garage I get to do the work charge £30 per hour and then I can get them to fit what I want rather than what honda recommend. So I can choose my own oil etc.

What are peoples opinions on this then?

Thanks, Matt.

big steve

I would just buy the parts from honda and get your usual garage to fit them. Then just write the details on the receipt and keep it for service history.

Paul Type R

The thing about car service is to take it to somebody you trust. I'm lucky as one of my mates is an independant, he does everything for me and i certainly trust him more than the straight out of school/college looking lads that work at my local honda dealer. Half the labour rates as well.

As long as you stamp the book and keep all reciepts theres should be no probs. I imagine it looks good to any perspective buyer that you don't just let anyone in a Honda dealer service your car. I shows that the previous owner cared and made sure that their car was serviced by the book and treated properly.