Shelf conversion to support 6x9's?..

Adz

Advanced Member
I am weighing up the option of replacing the rear speakers, or trying to fit a nice set of 6x9's instead! :)
The main problem with this is the parcel shelf being made of material as apposed to something solid!
Some sort of conversion is gonna be needed to support the new speakers
but im scratchin my head a little as to the best way to go about it!?..
Was wondering if anyone else has actually successfully done it already??..

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Its material but kept within a ridgid plastic structure (sorry - I'm not going to run down in the rain to check!)

So what you need is something that can sit within the frame, not squeak and be strong enough to support some weight.....

Solid sheet plastic may be an option - kept in place with clips so that you can always revert back.

Adz

Advanced Member
Just been lookin at that.. the material sheet can be removed as one whole piece and kept. The main problem is there is no clearance between the the two halfs of the plastic 'structure' when screwed back together.. therefore what ever I put in place is gonna have to be 1mm thick at most, and the screws not tightened all the way up! :?

Adz

Advanced Member
Hav'nt really worked wiv it before so I don't know wot its like.. do you think it's would be suitable for
mounting heavy speakers into?
I know its strong, what sort of thickness and how easy would it be to cut to size/shape etc.. :?:

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Right,

CF may not be the right material but seeing as the gap is 1mm what may be a couple of better ideas:

- Plastic sheet re-inforced with 1mm aluminium strips, the strips protrude and can be clamped down.

- Aluminium sheet although this will probably be quite heavy and you will only need something like 0.2mm to be strong enough. This will however put a greater strain on the 2 supports that connect to the tailgate, this along with the weight of the speakers could be a problem?

dunno if anybody else has any ideas?

Adz

Advanced Member
Hmm thats a bit of a difficult one to say as I hav'nt actually bought em yet.. Im think of somethin like a pair of Pioneer TSE-6995's shipping weight on them is about 12 pounds for both?.. so Im guessin allow 6 pounds each?.. :?

Erm

Advanced Member
quick and easy solution........

dont get 6x9s :lol: get yourself some high quality components instead, they are much better :D and if u want bass then may as well get yourself a sub :wink:

Adz

Advanced Member
Well that definitely sounds like a smart solution to the problem!..
Not the answer though.. where would we be without these little challenges?.. :)

I could fit components i suppose.. to be honest I hav'nt had the door panels off yet.. and if the speakers there are anything like the others then their gonna be a nightmare too..?

I would like to fit 6x9's though.. get alot for your money wiv 6x9's, where as with components you have gotta splash the cash to get somethin decent.. :wink:

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Yeah I wouldn't chop up your rear shelf... I just put in 4 of these babies in
Alpine SPR 174A front and rears, I had to made the hole a little bigger for the rear ones but that was ok as the speaker cover that you get in the Teg covers the cutting I had to do inside. Then for base (as those speak don't give you deep base many mids and highs) I dropped a all in one Vibe amp and Vibe 12" Sub in the boot..

Sounds good enough for me and with my head unit (Sony MEX-1HD) I didnt need any extra amps to run the speakers..

UW

Adz

Advanced Member
Cheers UW..

How much cuttin did you have to do to the rears, where abouts? and did you make use of any brackets? Any chance of a pic?

Whats the score with the front speakers then, 16" as well? When you got the door panel off are they fitted in a similar way to the rears?

Adz

Erm

Advanced Member
:lol: u got the same head unit as me dude :D

i'm gonna go for infinity components in the front and rear and then still not decided on what sub yet, but might go for the JL audio 12" :twisted:

do the panels rattle badly tho? cant be arsed to fixing this like in my pug :(

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hello mate

not much cutting at all .. its just that the 6" wouldn't fit in the hole correctly so I cut around the existing hole with a hot knife then placed the speaker in and put the orginal cover that comes with the car back on .. so anyone that sits in the back cannot see them..

I can take some pics later when I get home if you like but it maybe a little to dark so might have to wait until saturday..

But basically if you look in the rear passager sit to the left or right .. depending on which seat your in is the speaker cover.. take that off and behind will be your speaker.. take that out and place your new ones in .. Like I said I had to cut some of the plastic away inside the hole and I just screwed my speaker screws into the hard plastic.. put the cover back on .. and job done... OH and what ever you do .. do not drop the speaker wire inside the car down that hole :evil: nightmare to get it again.....

fronts should have brackets already on them so you can reuse them ..

Erm

Its a great head unit isnt it.. I wish it came with a remote thou.. I am always worried about ..what happens if the HD fails ... eek thats a shit load of tunes to restore...

The side panels dont rattle at all its the rear bumber from the sub vibrates loads... but I think its worst on mine because of the body kit..

UW

JOM

Advanced Member
UW,

Can you confirm that you fitted the Alpines you said in the front as well as the back.

Much modification for the front?

I got a pair of those Alpines to fit in the back by grinding them to shape :wink:

James

Adz

Advanced Member
I have made my decision! :)
Gonna go with the 6x9's afterall.. not going to modify the exsiting shelf.. just gonna manufacture one from scratch instread!

Could still do with knowing about the front speakers though..?

Adz

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
milsomj

Sorry mate your right ... I did drop a size for the fronts ... I did buy the front and rears together but they wouldnt fit so I returned them and put a smaller set in there ..

My bad ... Still had a bit of a nightmare to get the smaller ones in.. ... Suprised how good the the built in tweets on the dash board sound too..

UW