Shell V Power and Tesco 99

Linus27

Advanced Member
I've had my DC5 for about 3 months now and I have always used Shell V Power or Nitro whatever they call it these days. However, for the last few fills I have used Tesco 99 and the car seems to like this a little more. Its a bit nicer to drive in the mornings from cold and seems to have a smoother pickup and response. Not noticed any power difference as such but the car just seems to drive nicer with the Tesco 99.

Anyone else noticed this.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
My car feels a lot better with V-power compared to any other premium petrol and I have tried them all.

However I recently heard that these high octane petrols we all use burn through the valve seals really quick compared to normal petrol. :xaiweb6:

Linus27

Advanced Member
RE Spirit said:
I was sure there was a debate on this in the Petrol, Tyres and Oil section..
Oh bugger, I even looked to find the right section to post in but didn't scroll down enough to see that section.

Mods please delete or move.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Yeah there's been a big thing about it.

I can't tell the difference between any of them tbh mate. I actually found Asda's own cheap shi* stuff made my car fly but supposedly it's not good for the engine putting in 95 RON fuel.

Definitely runs much better on the Asda stuff than V power but got a telling off from the people on here so I've stopped doing it ha ha!! I'd been using it in all my Honda's as well and they all flew.

I put £25 of the 99Momentum in that you're talking about the other week and it also went well which is surprising as Tesco's normal 97 RON stuff is awful.

The Momentum99 is nearly 5p a litre cheaper the V power.

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Last year I filled up with tescos 99 and the car wasn't as responsive so stayed with shell.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
I often wonder about the v power, it's the dearest out there and think is it really worth???? Still using it LOL

I have used other stuff a fair while ago and i'm buggered if i can tell the difference.

CLICKY

T.G.

beppe786

Beppe
tesco 99 wasn't too bad for me.. car ran better smoother.. plus get 3 liters more fuel

£30 vpower gets me 100miles

£30 tesco 99 gets me 115miles

you guys should try it..

ste01

Advanced Member
Nothing in it really, even at a molecular level. I use Vpower purely because it's nearest but would have no problem using anything else if needs be

Rom

Advanced Member
Ive actually looked into this before a bit.

Now scaremongering aside, supermarket fuel is rotten, ruins cars etc.

This is more from my understanding and learning from various manufacturers, and personal experience.

High performance engines are developed to run at certain compression ratios. High octane fuel withstands these pressures better. Meaning it can be compressed, and ignited on demand.
Lower octane fuel, doesnt handle the pressure so well. It will do one of 2 things. Either pre ignite, before the spark ignites it. Aka Pinking. This is down to the heat generated by the compression cycle, being hot enough to ignite.
Or it will detonate, a much larger combustion than desired, aka Knocking.

Knock sensors are designed to save engines from damage. They detect knock, and alter the timing to try and compensate. This isnt ideal, its a fail safe really. The car will now be loosing power, due to running non ideal timing and fuelling settings.

A car with a knock sensor can run on lower octane if you must. As long as its not knocking, the ecu is doing its job, it will be down on power, less responsive etc. But if your happy, and the cars not knocking, who cares.

Older cars without knock sensors cant accommodate the change in octane. I set my 205 up to run V Power, and the one time i couldnt get any, i filled up with 95, i cant remember why i didnt get 97? Anyway, it drove like junk, hesitated on acceleration a lot. To the extent, i drained it out! This is because it was still trying to run on 99, and the fuel wasnt up to it.

Momentum, is made by Greenergy, who make a good chunk of uk fuel. They publish up to date test independent test results online.
I know people who swear by it. Including guys who race in PBMW, Compact Cup, M3 etc. I also know people who swear its the devils juice.

Same goes for V Power, some swear by it, others loathe it.
I will run a few tanks of V Power at least, if only for the chemical cleaning properties of the additives they use. That is something i dont think Momentum matches, i think Momentum also has a higher bio content to raise the RON.

But after my few tanks, i will try Momentum. I shop at Tesco, and get fuel rewards, think its 1p a litre per £50 (accumulative) spent. Up to 20p a litre off max i think.
That said, my mileage will be very low now, so cost wont matter as much. So ill go purely off of any difference, if any, i notice.

In summary, run either Momentum, or V Power, avoid anything else unless you have no choice.

Oh, and can we get this moved to the right forum. Be nice for it to see some use haha.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Thanks Rom, will be interesting to see what you think and if you notice any difference.

Rom

Advanced Member
You should use whatever feels best to you mate. Ill be doing that once i have mine, and have tried a few tanks.

You shouldn't see any noticeable power difference between the 2. Both should be 99 Ron.
The only documented differences i have found, is additives.

I would, and will run it for that, to try and clean up any deposits the engine may of built up. Again, you will never really know for sure though.

If you think your car goes as well, or better on Momentum, stick with it id say. There is endless forums filled with fans for both. A lot offering dyno print outs, claims that one made it stutter, horrible to drive etc.

ste01

Advanced Member
Yeah as Rom said, the main thing is to make sure you use the recommended octane number in your cars. Yeah these cars will run on 95ron as Crazylegs found, but it will always be safer/happier nearer to the Jap octane levels, running closer to how the design intended.

As for fuel additives; the detergents, Si content and all that, there really is nothing in it. Even the "inferior" standard 95RON fuels have similar levels of detergents/lubricants in them to the Super Unleadeds.

The best test would be to give your car to a friend/family member to fill up, not tell you what they put in, and then to see how what you think of how it drives. At least 2 tanks in a row of the same petrol too should also help make sure it's mainly all the same fuel.

Rom

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Yeah as Rom said, the main thing is to make sure you use the recommended octane number in your cars. Yeah these cars will run on 95ron as Crazylegs found, but it will always be safer/happier nearer to the Jap octane levels, running closer to how the design intended.

As for fuel additives; the detergents, Si content and all that, there really is nothing in it. Even the "inferior" standard 95RON fuels have similar levels of detergents/lubricants in them to the Super Unleadeds.

The best test would be to give your car to a friend/family member to fill up, not tell you what they put in, and then to see how what you think of how it drives. At least 2 tanks in a row of the same petrol too should also help make sure it's mainly all the same fuel.
In for family member filling it up with diesel!

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Ive used Shell v-power/nitro+ or whatever else it has been called since i got my car 6 years ago, and on the odd occasion i have to fill up with tesco99 or sainsburys, the car doesn't feel right, seems flakeyer. Not as willing to rev. Only ever try and put tesco in my car when im on the light and its the closest.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone thought of octaine boosting 97 or 99 to get a 100RON blend? Imagine if neither of us have ever experienced the true dc5 performance :p

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

ste01

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Anyone thought of octaine boosting 97 or 99 to get a 100RON blend? Imagine if neither of us have ever experienced the true dc5 performance :p

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
Mine came with about 2/3 of a tank of Jap petrol.....can't remember if it felt faster or whatever, was just loving the fact I finally had my DC5! Lol.

Edit: thinking about it, although I don't remember anything about the performance, the Jap fuel probably explains why I managed almost 50mpg and got back from Devon on just under half a tank!

Erm

Advanced Member
I've used both, if I can't get V power for whatever reason I'll use Tesco Momentum 99

My main observation is my engine seems to run quieter on V power than it does on the Tesco 99. Make of that what you will but that's my personal experience. MPG etc I couldn't comment on as there are far too many more factors than the fuel that could affect that.

Neither fuel is bad!

bennn

Advanced Member
I use Tesco 99 and Shell V Power, just depends where I am when the light comes on.

Can't say I notice any difference TBH.

I've got a tank of Super Unleaded from Texaco (only 97 RON) in it at the moment and if i'm honest I can't tell a difference using that either.