Shift cable Q

VT-Doo

RushDoo
If they aren't the same, can they be dismantled in any way??

The black plastic collar which sits around the cable as it is secured onto the gearbox has snapped. So now when I shift into 1st, 3rd or 5th the cable bends :roll:
I can get an EP3 cable quite easily but I need to know whether it'll work or not before I shell out cash.

Cheers,

VT-Doo

RushDoo
That's what I suspected :roll:

I have an idea...I'll give an update at the weekend... :wink:

For those interested, I have a short-shifter installed. From reading throughout the net it would seen it is this that causes the small bit of plastic to snap.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if installed correctly it should give years of trouble free use. did you fit the spacers?

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I didn't fit it as it was already on the car.

I don't know what spacers you are referring to?

Does anybody have a copy of the instructions they could post up so I can double check the installation?

Cheers,

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
they come with some 1" spacers which can be fitted under the assembly.

normally the only issue can be with the angle of the cable when it exits the shifter itself, it can rub on the housing, dont normally get any issues with the other end

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I had another look at the plastic which has snapped and it's shockingly thin. I suppose years of movement puts stress on it.
I should note though, I am not blaming this on the short shifter; for all I know it could have been damaged when I had it disconnected from the car.

Like I said, I have an idea on how to "fix" it and will post up pictures tomorrow if it works.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
It now works perfectly :D

The very basic idea is to hold the split ends together.
A jubilee clip on either side held firmly together with thick tie-wraps. A bit of a botch but it saves a fortune, doesn't do any harm and most importantly...work perfectly :!:

Can you see the split? When pushing the gear lever forward into 1st, 3rd or 5th the cable would bend.

Holding the split ends together solved the problem.

Next I'm going to look into a way of not being able to force the gear lever to far forward.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
VT-Doo said:
Next I'm going to look into a way of not being able to force the gear lever to far forward.
Tom's done this on their race cars and also for Suped. I'm sure Suped posted on here what Tom did.

HTH
JT

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the short shifter can damage the other end , the uoter sleeve where the cable attaches to the shifter itself can get bent from being aggressive with the shifts, it is really just because the angle is a little out, the cable can also rub on the shifter housing causing a problem (which i fixed on Suped and Toms race car by carefully grinding/carving some of the shifter housing away.)
My own B&M didnt ever suffer from the same problem, just luck of the draw and manufacturing tolerences on the honda shifter housings i suppose