Shifter Cables

VT-Doo

RushDoo
[font="arial][size="2"]I don't know if anybody will remember but a while ago one of my shifter cables broke. The cable itself didn't snap but the plastic collar which holds everything together did. IMO it should never have been made of plastic in the first place![/size][/font]I made up a temporary solution which served me well...even if I did have to maintain it. At the moment I've replaced the cable-ties with bicycle brake cable.
[font="arial] [/font]
[font="arial] [/font]
[font="arial][size="2"]
The very basic idea is to hold the split ends together.
A jubilee clip on either side held firmly together with thick tie-wraps. A bit of a botch but it saves a fortune, doesn't do any harm and most importantly...work perfectly :!:

Can you see the split? When pushing the gear lever forward into 1st, 3rd or 5th the cable would bend.

Holding the split ends together solved the problem.

Next I'm going to look into a way of not being able to force the gear lever to far forward.
[/size][/font][font="arial] [/font][font="arial] [/font][size="2"]So the time came where [/size]I just had to fix it properly. I search round for new and second hand cables with no success. The cables seem to hold their value as they are the cables used for K-Series engine swaps...bugger!I couldn't justify the price (tight Scot) for second hand cable when the same thing could happen further down the line.
Anyway, I bit the bullet and decided to buy the Hybrid Racing Shifter Cables. I ordered them on 21 July and received them yesterday. Saved myself a good amount of money over a UK distributor too!

This is them fresh out the box...

Looking the ends of the cables you can clearly see and feel the quality in them!

Unfortunately I won't get a chance to fit these till the weekend but I really can't wait to drive the car and be able to change gears without having to think about it

blueguy

Resident J's whore
They do look like a quality bit of kit Ian. How much did you get them for if you don't mind me asking?

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I can't remember the correct amount but all in I think they came to about £280.
A really good price considering the price of second hand cables.

Hopefully I'll get these fitted tonight after work...

haitch

Advanced Member
I can't remember the correct amount but all in I think they came to about £280.
A really good price considering the price of second hand cables.

Hopefully I'll get these fitted tonight after work...
Look forward to the review on the HR cables, similar problem here, as you say used cables are only a shade cheaper than new from Honda, pure robbery. I see K-tuned have some new shifter bits up on their site, wouldnt mind trying those as well..

http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/BILLET-SHIFTER-ARM_p_211.html

VT-Doo

RushDoo
They took a bit longer to fit than I first thought, mainly because the new cables don't bent half as much as the OEM one.
I have a B&M short shifter which I had to modify slightly in order for the new thicker cables to work. It wasn't a huge deal to be honest as the mounting point didn't change.

Before:

After:

Once installed; the new cables have totally transformed the feel of the shifter and as a whole, the car.
There is no sloppiness whatsoever, each gear change is precise, crisp and effortless!
With the OEM cables there seemed to be a slight vagueness about shifting, even while in gear. But now, it's perfect...this is how the gears should have been from the factory!

At first I was a bit hesitant as to whether they were worth the money...but now...I have no doubts...Hybrid Racing have made a Brilliant product here!

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Think this must be the kit i was looking into a few months back, but they hadnt quite finished testing them. They do look good quality though.