Shifting 3rd to 4th

SamDC5

Advanced Member
When in VTEC shifting from 3rd to 4th the gear stick almost wants to pop out. It takes very little effort to shift unless I'm holding it quite tightly.

My drivers side engine mount was goosed so I replaced that and it hasn't made any difference.

Is this normal or? All other mounts seem to be okay.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Mine does this. There was another thread on it recently, few said it's fine, few said it's not. I'll be keeping an eye on this 😂

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Jvzr said:
Mine does this. There was another thread on it recently, few said it's fine, few said it's not. I'll be keeping an eye on this 😂

Eh that's weird! I'm wondering if a gearbox mount has worn or something. I'll have a proper look when I can.

Jvzr

Advanced Member
All my mounts seem to be absolutey fine, and another dc5 I test drove did the same so just presumed it was ok.
My box is being built in a few weeks so will get my mounts checked then again

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Jvzr said:
All my mounts seem to be absolutey fine, and another dc5 I test drove did the same so just presumed it was ok.
My box is being built in a few weeks so will get my mounts checked then again

Must be me being paranoid, glad it's not just me!

Matt-DC5

Advanced Member
Yeah it occasionally happens in mine also. Used to happen more before I put mount inserts in. Think it's just the engine rocking causing it to pop out of gear

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Matt-DC5 said:
Yeah it occasionally happens in mine also. Used to happen more before I put mount inserts in. Think it's just the engine rocking causing it to pop out of gear
That's what I thought! What are the inserts like day to day? Do they increase cabin vibration?

Jvzr

Advanced Member
hollowaydc5 said:
That's what I thought! What are the inserts like day to day? Do they increase cabin vibration?

I find my inserts brilliant. Small bit of cabin vibration but nothing major at all. Well worth the money, didn't solve my gear issue

Matt-DC5

Advanced Member
Yeah recommend the inserts. As mentioned above, a small about of vibration through cabin but only noticed on idle. When youre driving you dont notice it

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I did some more spirited driving tonight, and practised shifting. I just made sure I had a good grip when shifting and it was much better. Must just be the engine rocking at such high revs. I'll take a look at those inserts though.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Perhaps try and stop thinking about it and change gear as normal and it might not happen. Sounds like you're over thinking it. Then again the clutch could be on its way if it's not engaging properly at high revs.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Perhaps try and stop thinking about it and change gear as normal and it might not happen. Sounds like you're over thinking it. Then again the clutch could be on its way if it's not engaging properly at high revs.
If I don't think about it the gear stick will come out of my hand. It's much better now though as I've got used to it.

The clutch engages fine even at high revs, there's nothing indicate the clutch on its way as the biting point seems fine too.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
What sort of mileages are your clutches on with the cars doing this?

Does not sound normal to me.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
What sort of mileages are your clutches on with the cars doing this?

Does not sound normal to me.
Wouldn't know, however the car is on 70k. Biting point etc seems fine.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
The biting point of K20 clutches doesn't change too much once the clutch is worn, you start getting difficulty getting changes done at high rpm, particularly 1st to 2nd, gears popping out easy etc.

The typical lifespan seems to be 60-80k (obviously driver dependent) so I'd hazard a guess that your clutch could do with being changed.

A Honda OEM one is not much more than £150, I wouldn't bother with any other brand unless you're running boost.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
The biting point of K20 clutches doesn't change too much once the clutch is worn, you start getting difficulty getting changes done at high rpm, particularly 1st to 2nd, gears popping out easy etc.

The typical lifespan seems to be 60-80k (obviously driver dependent) so I'd hazard a guess that your clutch could do with being changed.

A Honda OEM one is not much more than £150, I wouldn't bother with any other brand unless you're running boost.
Not sure if it's just me as I've changed my timing with shifting and the issues seems to have gone away. Meh weird.

spooke

Advanced Member
hollowaydc5 said:
Not sure if it's just me as I've changed my timing with shifting and the issues seems to have gone away. Meh weird.

I'm not so sure it will be your clutch, mine does this VERY rarely and my clutch is only like 10k miles old if that - OEM Honda. It seems to happen if I'm at a certain RPM and if I don't push the stick into the gear very hard. If I'l up in VTEC it's a nice smooth shift rather than it popping out strangely.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
spooke said:
I'm not so sure it will be your clutch, mine does this VERY rarely and my clutch is only like 10k miles old if that - OEM Honda. It seems to happen if I'm at a certain RPM and if I don't push the stick into the gear very hard. If I'l up in VTEC it's a nice smooth shift rather than it popping out strangely.
It could possibly be this too, I have noticed that when I brake the gear stick will move ever so slightly due to the force.

I have made sure I've held the gear stick firmer and it seems fine now.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Just wanted to update this to anyone suffering the same issue. I replaced the shifter cable bushes that sit on top of the gearbox with Tegiwa ones. It has totally sorted the issue and shifting is much much better.