SHIFTING TIPS

Armenomania

Advanced Member
Hello guys!
My question may sound little newbie,but i really would like to know your personal opinion. Every time i change the gears from 1st to 2nd it causes me too much wheel spin. A friend of mine who owns a dc2r tells me to release the clutch faster and the car will go ahead instead of spinning the wheels. When i change from the red line of the 1st (8700rpm) to 2nd it drops to 8100-8200rpm(looses only 500-600 rpms)
Isnt it fast enough? Changing little bit slower the gears wouldnt cause me this problem(e.g. Droping to 7500)
Just i want to keep the revs higher,because the car is stronger in high revs.
Any tips/suggestions?

Cheers

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Wheel spinning in second gear can be like wheel spinning in first i.e. you're giving it throttle before the clutch is engaged.

Also remember the throttle is not "all or nothing", ease onto the throttle a bit slower if need be.
You do not need to be WOT as soon as it's in gear.
One of the best forms of traction control is your right foot ;)

VT-Doo

RushDoo
No, it won't "lose rpm" as I'm not saying don't put your foot on the throttle at all, I'm saying you don't need to stamp on it as soon as it's in gear.

The throttle is not an on/off switch, it's variable!

If the wheels spin you don't need to come off the throttle completely just enough to stop the wheels spinning?

Armenomania

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
No, it won't "lose rpm" as I'm not saying don't put your foot on the throttle at all, I'm saying you don't need to stamp on it as soon as it's in gear.

The throttle is not an on/off switch, it's variable!

If the wheels spin you don't need to come off the throttle completely just enough to stop the wheels spinning?
Thanks mate, i got what you saying:)
Will try to find free time in the evening to go to practice :D

George K

Advanced Member
In the events that I do we are timed from a standing start over the first 64 feet (19 metres) - last weekend I did by far the best times for a FWD car by avoiding wheelspin completely (even on a relatively low grip surface). This meant very low revs to get the car rolling, and then feeding in power smoothly. This gained 0.4 seconds over the full blooded wheelspinning approach. The change into second needs to be smooth and progressive to avoid the jolt breaking traction.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Mine never wheel spins only wheel hops. If I plant it too sharp at high revs the front wheels jump up and down but never wheel spin becasue of the LSD.

Sure your LSD is working properly?

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Wheel hop is not caused by the LSD. It will more than likely be down to your engine mounts. Stiffen the engine mounts and you'll notice a difference ;)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Well I stand corrected :eek:

I will have to get those looked at. I know theres a whole array of mounts. Would you happen to know which ones would cause wheel hop so i can get those replaced first of all?

I did always wonder myself TBH. I always thought the LSD kicked in under torque differencial on each wheel i.e hard cornering under hard acceleration so always wondered why it would kick in under straight line acceleration. Now I know ;)

Armenomania

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:

I will have to get those looked at. I know theres a whole array of mounts. Would you happen to know which ones would cause wheel hop so i can get those replaced first of all?

I did always wonder myself TBH. I always thought the LSD kicked in under torque differencial on each wheel i.e hard cornering under hard acceleration so always wondered why it would kick in under straight line acceleration. Now I know ;)
I have seen many guys around here who put Energy engine mounts. couple of mates told me to order Spoon or Mugen mounts, but the recent mechanic i have visited told me theres no big difference between OEM and spoon/mugen mounts...
I dont even have an idea how LSD works (although many times happened to see or hear about it). Dont think theres something wrong with it,because the car was in perfect condition when i bought it 6 months with about 45000 KM on it...

Armenomania

Advanced Member
George K said:
In the events that I do we are timed from a standing start over the first 64 feet (19 metres) - last weekend I did by far the best times for a FWD car by avoiding wheelspin completely (even on a relatively low grip surface). This meant very low revs to get the car rolling, and then feeding in power smoothly. This gained 0.4 seconds over the full blooded wheelspinning approach. The change into second needs to be smooth and progressive to avoid the jolt breaking traction.
Well..it means the DC5 gearbox is completely different from DC2. since all the dc2 drivers tell me to release the clutch as fast as possible and give full throttle. The previous owner of my car who had also turbo DC2 told me the same thing as you,George...he said unlike DC2,the changing of the gears on this car must be smooth...

oregato

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:

I've got RS engine mounts, fitted by the tuning factory in Dublin for a great price.

Seriously, the difference is night and day before and after.

It used to hope a lot but after getting the engine mounts put in, its completely changed it, feels a lot firmer and the wheels spin instead of hopping like mad. An ETD can aid this as well, but I think it's defo the engine mounts.

The engine mounts do cause a bit more vibration/noise in the cabin, but nothing that you couldn't live with it. One of the best mods on the car by far.

dan the man

Advanced Member
cant understand how one q raised so many options. Just f**ing ease on the power change son, sounds like your trying too hard.

Armenomania

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
cant understand how one q raised so many options. Just f**ing ease on the power change son, sounds like your trying too hard.
Theres nothing for you to understand,son!
This people in here were so gentle to help others with their advices based on their personal experience. If you cant do the same-just pass by without unnessesary comments.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I get awfull wheel hop, but i can manage it, i hate wheel hop so less power and i just get a nice squeel out of the tyres, same with 2nd gear. I must get energy suspension inserts though. get all the power down! That is a good launch in that video link

Hancock

Advanced Member
ejwillistyles said:
IMO wheel hop is also a lot to do with tyres :idea:
definitely, mine was awful for wheel hop when i had the car imported with cheap jap tyres on.

Armenomania

Advanced Member
Hancock said:
ejwillistyles said:
IMO wheel hop is also a lot to do with tyres :idea:
definitely, mine was awful for wheel hop when i had the car imported with cheap jap tyres on.
Guys i personally have YOKOHAMA ADVAN and my brother on his DC5 has Pirelli...both of us experience the same thing... what tires would you suggest?