Shock absorber recommendations

BataLeon

Advanced Member
I need to replace one of my Honda rear shock absorbers which is only four months old but went pop after one month. Wondering whether I should go for something other than Honda, i.e Sachs? Also can people confirm the reference code as ep3 Sachs shocks are shorter as I've already done a comparison so want to be sure I get the right ones.

I'm running Eibach Sportline springs as well.

Thanks

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
What happened? get it sorted under warranty surely.? I guess timing would be the only issue, but hold out for another. Oem all the way for replacement, or could try Bilstein. However that will be for an ep3 so will need to put some washers in like the ep3 coilover owners have to do :)

BataLeon

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
What happened? get it sorted under warranty surely.? I guess timing would be the only issue, but hold out for another. Oem all the way for replacement, or could try Bilstein. However that will be for an ep3 so will need to put some washers in like the ep3 coilover owners have to do :)
I didn't know if warranty would be possible as I have just changed the springs?

Also as I mentioned about when I got the ep3 Sachs shocks they were shorter than the Honda ones by 15mm(ish) maybe not a huge issue if the springs are already creating a drop, the main reason we didn't fit them was that the bush was smaller, DC5 shock 44.4mm and ep3 shock 40mm. Could I get around this by ordering two off these from Tegiwa http://www.tegiwaimports.com/genuine-honda-rear-lower-shock-bush-integra-type-r-dc5.html

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
When fitting EP3 rears you always have to fit a 2mm spacer either side, i.e. a thick washer due to that exact reason of the bush being narrower.

BataLeon

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
When fitting EP3 rears you always have to fit a 2mm spacer either side, i.e. a thick washer due to that exact reason of the bush being narrower.
Right that solves that then. I'll get some Sachs in and resolve this knocking.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
As mentioned in my post,..t. Washers needed. :)

But yes I would contest it. Different spring or not, if it cannot last 4 months it‘s at fault. Take it off and take it back for an exchange I would. :). I‘d have an oem damper over the ep3 Sachs one any day.

BataLeon

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
As mentioned in my post,..t. Washers needed. :)

But yes I would contest it. Different spring or not, if it cannot last 4 months it‘s at fault. Take it off and take it back for an exchange I would. :). I‘d have an oem damper over the ep3 Sachs one any day.
Yeah I noted you did, just needed more than one person to say it to make me feel ok about it ;)