Should my brand new wheels & tyres have this many weights?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Got some brand new Lenso Spec-C's fitted today and 2 weeks ago I bought some Falken ZE914's that I ran on my OEM wheels which I had swapped over, and this is how many weights some of the wheels have:

Not impressed.

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
I would have said that the wheels weigh pretty much the same its the tyres that are different even from new.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Marshall-P said:
I would have said that the wheels weigh pretty much the same its the tyres that are different even from new.
I'm not talking about the weight of the wheels I'm ask about the amount of weights they've used on the inside to balance the wheels

wj51fut

Advanced Member
New tyres have a red and a yellow dot. The red dot should line up with the valve on the alloy. Shouldn't need many if any weights then. I would check them.

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
LiamGTR said:
I'm not talking about the weight of the wheels I'm ask about the amount of weights they've used on the inside to balance the wheels
I understand that buddy what I am saying is the discrepancy with the weight lies with the tyres on each corner not the wheels. When i changed from RE050 to RE070 tyres the amount of weights increased on each alloy.

I would be very surprised if alloys came out of the factory and weighed different amounts, tyres on the other hand..............

LiamGTR

Advanced Member

I understand that buddy what I am saying is the discrepancy with the weight lies with the tyres on each corner not the wheels. When i changed from RE050 to RE070 tyres the amount of weights increased on each alloy.

I would be very surprised if alloys came out of the factory and weighed different amounts, tyres on the other hand..............I rang the garage this morning and they said more of less the same, the fact they are basically you're balancing the tyres and not the alloys

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
The funny thing is we all go out to try and get the lightest wheels we can afford only for them to be loaded up with additional weight

Think of it as success ballast. xthumbup

jambo

Advanced Member
doesnt seem that excessive considering each of them weights is only 5g so only about 60g in total which is pretty normal to be fair. Depends on how good the tyres are. The more expensive brands do take less weight to balance. Ive had to put 120g on wheels at times. The wheel weights are ugly though. We use ones tthat are different sizes so it looks neater rather than the row of 5g weights

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
jambo said:
doesnt seem that excessive considering each of them weights is only 5g so only about 60g in total which is pretty normal to be fair. Depends on how good the tyres are. The more expensive brands do take less weight to balance. Ive had to put 120g on wheels at times. The wheel weights are ugly though. We use ones tthat are different sizes so it looks neater rather than the row of 5g weights
Yea that's what got me the most, buying some nice new wheels and all I can now see is these huge line of weights! :( :p

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Just about to go and wash the car (and that annoying tyre lube stuff) now. I'll post the results.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
New tyres have a red and a yellow dot. The red dot should line up with the valve on the alloy. Shouldn't need many if any weights then. I would check them.
Have you done this yet? I got my wheels done by my mate so watched over him like a hawk! When he lined up the red dot with the valve the wheel didn't need one single weight on it.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Have you done this yet? I got my wheels done by my mate so watched over him like a hawk! When he lined up the red dot with the valve the wheel didn't need one single weight on it.
Never heard of that before Adam, will check it out next time I get mine done

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
Surely if this was the case it would be a well known fact among tyre fitters and would be done routinely?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
That is a lot of weights! Did they run out of heavier weights so they slapped on more smaller increments?

Just a guess, but yes, that is a fair few on there!

I have Lenso's as well and it has nothing to do with the alloy wheel, it's down to the garage and how they fit/balance the tyre.

Great quality wheels Lenso by the way, they use them in racing.
TGM use Rota wheels (as do many other race teams because they are cheap to replace) so ignore idiotic comments about 'quality'.
Yes they will probably break instead of twist/bend when you crash but in both cases, new wheels are needed and if you are crashing that hard... probably a new car!

As Adam has said regarding the Red/Yellow dot, that was new to me too! But yes It's true, the Red dot lines up with the Valve, the Yellow dot shows an imbalance weight spot on the tyre. It's rare you wont need any weights though, otherwise they wouldn't provide them.