sick of tar removers not working! please help!

dylski

Ive not long had my cw dc5 and ive been annoyed with the amoint of tar stuck to it since ive had it, its not realy noticeable until you wash it but then it feels like its every where! the ..
side skirts are especially bad..

can anyone recomend whats best to use?? I hear clay bars are realy good??

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I used meguiars clay bay kit on mine to get a lot of tar off with, took a bit of elbow grease but I got there

Grunty

Advanced Member
I've never had any complaints with Autoglym tar remover. Wipe over and you can see the tar start to dissolve. If there are stubborn marks give a bit of a rub. I always wash it off straight away, can't imagine it would be very good for your paint if left.

donkeykong

Advanced Member
Also depends if the tar is on your wax layer or not. With clay you dont have to worry about removing your wax layer.

dylski

which is more aggresive? because my tar seems lie it sbeen on there a while as its reeealy stuborn!?

coolerking

Advanced Member
I would just use autosmart tarids, clay bar and then use iron x all over the body, then just re-apply the wax mate, its all about the prep stage lol, as for wax i'd recommend werkstat acrylic jett trigger and acrylic glos, honestly you'll love the end result

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
which is more aggresive? because my tar seems lie it sbeen on there a while as its reeealy stuborn!?
*EDIT Referring to my WHEELS, apologies!

I know exactly what you mean here, I have some really really stubborn tar spots, have tried EVERYTHING! Other than sit there for hours scrubbing away or using a grenade, the only other way to get rid is to machine it off (last resort respray), which I am going to try tomorrow :) Will let you know how it goes and POST it up!

Josh16v

Advanced Member
You shouldn't machine off tar. It will either drag along the paint with the machine, or embed in the pad, then you'll be dragging it all over the car when you next use it!
By all means you could try compounding it off by hand with old microfibres, best bet is probably a more aggresive clay.

Oh and iron x before clay, not after. The less contaminents in the clay they better.

If tardis isn't working, you could try some Upol (fast or slow) Degreaser. You can buy it at most paint shops, we use it at work as panel wipe, melts tar better than tardis imo.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
You shouldn't machine off tar. It will either drag along the paint with the machine, or embed in the pad, then you'll be dragging it all over the car when you next use it!
*EDIT, WHOOPS! I forgot to mention it's for my wheels! Not talking about DA Polishing. Sorry. Will post my findings tomorrow :) Its no different to rubbing really hard with this small £40 machine. Just saves wasting £££ on products that aren't working.

smac

I use Jizer degreaser and always found it good.
The work van was absolutly caked in tar after last winter and it got rid of it all, had to reapply it in a few spots though

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
Auto Glym Tar Remover with a lot of elbow grease. To make things easy if you have an old AG spray bottle you can pull the dripper out of the top of the Tar Remover bottle and attach the sprayer making it much easier to use.

niallbrady

Interesting, ive just done my car there last week, used holts gel bug and tar remover comes in an aerosol,, really is great stuff, spray on and watch the tar run off, no elbow grease needed!!! :xyes:
I ran out half way through and went to get some more but the only one in the shop was Bondauto stuff,, never used it before but turned out to be good stuff also :xgrin:

Little tip:If theres loads of tar on your car (mine was like sandpaper) use a drop of petrol to rinse your cloth!!!!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Myself and Porthos use autoglym tar and glue remover but put it in a spray bottle or put a spray top on the original bottle. Spray, leave for 1-2 mins (don't let it dry) then wipe away! Haven't tried anything else, don't need to.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Myself and Porthos use autoglym tar and glue remover but put it in a spray bottle or put a spray top on the original bottle. Spray, leave for 1-2 mins (don't let it dry) then wipe away! Haven't tried anything else, don't need to.
Indeed, that stuff is AMAZING! Just don't breathe it in, lol

Spoons86

Advanced Member
white spirt, if its hardcore stuck on then this is what i use, dont use alot, dont eave it on the paint for to long and wipe it off with clean cloth wen done, then clay and build layers back up. i have a CupraR before my Teg in Red and Tar was a problem on that, it worked a treat for me.