Sidelight stopped working.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Fixed up my car the other day from getting back from insurance.

Lights all worked great. thankfully I took a pic so I know I'm not going mad...

Come home last night and no light output from the driver's side. Sidelight and dipped beam completely gone. Full beam still works, and indicators etc.

Fuses look ok. I've swapped sidelight bulb to other lamp and it works in there. I think I've got 2 issues. Bulb for main / high beam blown on main beam filament, and something with sidelight.

Any ideas? Bulb ok. Fuse in engine compartment ok.

Stumped.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Maybe a dodgy bulb holder I have had this recently and just about to fit one mate, (the one on my car has a bit of a dodgy connection but with the bulb pushed in it works), I have a new one to fit, if this works want me to post you one to try it?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Could be a blown ballast or there has been some hard vibrations that have caused both those lamps to fail. Id try swapping lamps over just to confirm :)

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Could be a blown ballast or there has been some hard vibrations that have caused both those lamps to fail. Id try swapping lamps over just to confirm :)
To be fair, it was just hit by a bus.

If it hadn't worked initially, I'd have assumed ballast too, and flood still works which I thought would mean ballast ok?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Nope full is just normal lamps, mine went at the same time :) just coincidentally i think, but easy to check on yours :) especially if they have been in and out a fair amount lately.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Bumper back off and some swapping over I guess today then.

Sidamps work from ballasts too?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I did not think the side lamps worked off of the ballasts, they are independent wiring looms/connections and run as normal I believe, maybe wrong but sure they are and use the spade 501 W5W bulbs.. This has been my issue, bad fitting bulbs and bad holder :-(

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I'll give it a once over before taking off the front end again. Odd that they went at same time and bulb seems ok.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Whoohoo. Sorted.

One of the wires in hid ballast had pulled from connector. Pushed it in and taped it in place till I get the new parts order :)