*Sigh* This car will be the end of me

eXceed

Resident Driver
Ha bit of a morbid title but was going around a car park about to drive home when there was a loud "pssssh" sound followed by smoke and a horrible smell. Opened the engine bay and immediately saw that my ETD had lost an bolt (power steering side) and had been chaffing the pipe directly above it (I believe it's the power steering fluid pipe...). SO anyway after driving home with my engine bay now looking like I had never cleaned it :xmad: I actually liked not having power steering. So basically wondering what you guys think, low speed driving is a bit of an effort but wouldn't really bother me at all... Is it worth me fixing this bolt and then taking the car to a garage to get the power steering hose replaced or is it something I could attempt myself? There's obviously no pressure in the system and so no danger to myself. Only thing I can think of that will be difficult is getting the ETD bolt back in (well fitting a new one aas the old one has disappeared (must have been rattling free for a while!). I had always thought the sound was my tein coilovers needing regassing so was going to get some new ones but I'm not sure which one I prefer to be honest. Ideally would have preferred nothing to have gone lol, but I think this is probably easier in terms of there will be no downtime of the car.
And finally is there any damage I could cause by running the PS pump dry? Or indeed to the rest of the car's geometry/suspension? I know my computers watercooling system would die if there wasn't any water (or air) being supplied to the pump.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the dc2 guys do it alot , dont really know if any harm can be done prob will be ok,

Dan2020

Advanced Member
The pump will start making a grinding noise if it's run completely dry. I removed the p/s pump and system on my old EG6 and ran the pipes from the steering rack to a resevoir (I used a clutch fluid one) so the system could still breath and have fluid in the rack.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Just a quick note, when i was reading up about the new MOT rules i found out that it is an MOT failure to remove the power steering from a car when it was fitted in the factory :? So you could get away with it on a car where it was optional or there was a model where it wans't fitted as standard.

But as our cars are imports im sure it'd be fine, just thought id put it out there just incase!