slicks or semis

webbie

Advanced Member
hiya
Do any of you lot use slicks or do you just stick to semis
I now have my old honda wheels as spares ya see..

also do you use smaller wheels on the track ..what are the benifits ...better braking and better aceleration ???

I have another track day coming up you see at croft soon and hat a bit of fun wasting skylines and evos lol

but some lads I know have upped there game a bit to r32 track cars and a sorted evo so I need to up my game and embarass them again :D im my little honda

mikegsi

Staff member
as long as you dont embarrass me at croft!!!!!

i would go semi's over slicks, you need rollcages for slicks i believe.

i have toyed about semi's in the past, but really need to get to know how best to drive the car on 'road' tyres first.......

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
semis if std suspension, you should consider a baffled sump though as oil surge is more possible with more grip.

g-zone

Advanced Member
I used semis for the first time a couple of weeks ago, with smaller (16") wheels. However, it seems to be difficult to find a semi-slick with a low profile for 16" and I've ended up with 205/55/16. Plenty of grip though and improves the steering responsiveness and braking hugely. Kept up with the "generic super cars" (porkas) easily - except on the straights.

These are with spoon springs but no baffled sump.

Paul G

Members
I run mine on full slicks(wt baff sump).

They work out cheaper than semi slicks, but as said some track day comp wt let you run them without a cage..

Paul.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I'm sure Paul (above) would agree (I've said this before......) how much experience have you got on track :?: (and others that look at this thread)

If you have only done a couple of hand falls, then it's best to stick with road tyres and learn the cars limits on them, and how to recover when things go wrong.

The reason I say this, it's easy to feel when your on the edge with road tyres, so your get to know the signs... With Semi / Slicks the limit point is much finer, if it goes wrong it's likely to happen all of a sudden with no real warning, less time to recover, thus could all go to pot and end in a 'bang'.....

Hence, when I eventually return to track (soon I hope) I will run on road tyres, even though I have a set of semi-slicks on alloys waiting.... I'd rather listen to the advice I've been given by those with experience.

Also, if you choose to run semi / slicks.. make sure you run a 'good' baffle sump... the K series is prone to oil serge (having seen mine open / in bits I can say it's can be a serious issue on the K)...

As Paul said, if you run slicks, make sure the trackday company allows these i.e. check their rules... many will only allow these if your car runs a roll gage...

At the end, it's your choose though... just my 2pence worth..

Mike

Dave SS

completely agree, learning how to make yourself quicker is safer than making the car quicker :idea:

g-zone

Advanced Member
I'd have to disagree with the whole - semi-slicks are harder to drive on. If you've not done many trackdays then fair enough do a few more and get used to the car. But I didn't find semi-slicks more difficult to drive.

You just need to take your time warming them up, then gradually get faster throughout the session. If anything, I found them more controllable at the limits because they bite in and grip through the slide allowing you to power out with more control.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
g-zone said:
I'd have to disagree with the whole - semi-slicks are harder to drive on. If you've not done many trackdays then fair enough do a few more and get used to the car. But I didn't find semi-slicks more difficult to drive.

You just need to take your time warming them up, then gradually get faster throughout the session. If anything, I found them more controllable at the limits because they bite in and grip through the slide allowing you to power out with more control.
Anton

I think you may have missed my point.....

They will inspire more confidence, but will suddenly give up, rather than a road tyre your get some warning... The reason you have not found this atm, is because your not on the limit yet...

Not sure if I can remember or not Anton, have you gat a baffle sump ? As I said above, your corner force / acceleration will be far higher with semi slicks... thus you maybe risking your engine i.e oil surge / starvation..

Mike

Dave SS

semis:
and when they do give up, you'll be carrying a lot more speed than you would have been using road tyres :?

mikegsi

Staff member
aye, let those with the track prepped cars run around on semi's, there's only one semi i like and it aint a house!!!

can still pretty much keep up with most things on a track, you have very similar mods to me so i cant see you being far (if at all) behind, sure we'll have a bit crack at croft though on the H-O-T event

g-zone

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
g-zone said:

Anton

I think you may have missed my point.....

They will inspire more confidence, but will suddenly give up, rather than a road tyre your get some warning... The reason you have not found this atm, is because your not on the limit yet...

Not sure if I can remember or not Anton, have you gat a baffle sump ? As I said above, your corner force / acceleration will be far higher with semi slicks... thus you maybe risking your engine i.e oil surge / starvation..

Mike
Well I don't agree that they will suddenly "give up". I found when reaching the limit of the grip, they will understeer and washout long before it lets go - if it even does let go. This is a front wheel drive car remember - to make it let go, you need to unbalance it and that means moving the C of G where it shouldn't be.

As far as sump is concerned, a standard sump can be used. You just have to make sure the oil is a few millimeters over the top and check it religiously before you go out. If you're car is running a lot more horsepower then you will probably need a baffled sump.

g-zone

Advanced Member
Before this thread descends into an argument based on myth and conjecture. I've found a useful wiki entry that describes what happens in understeer conditions (ie when you reach the limit of adhesion of the tyres).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understeer

Note the paragraphs:

"This (understeer) is also often referred to as pushing, plowing, or refusing to turn in. The car is referred to as being 'tight' because it is stable and far from wanting to spin."

And:
"Terminal understeer" refers to a vehicle which, as a function of its design, tends to understeer when cornering loads exceed tire traction."

"Front-wheel drive cars are also prone to understeer because not only are they usually front-heavy, transmitting power through the front wheels also reduces their grip available for cornering."

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
g-zone said:
As far as sump is concerned, a standard sump can be used. You just have to make sure the oil is a few millimeters over the top and check it religiously before you go out. If you're car is running a lot more horsepower then you will probably need a baffled sump.
All I can say to this Anton, YOUR RUNNING A SERIOUS RISK......

The Oil Pump on the K Series is weak, picks up oil from one location in the sump... if there is no oil their, then on corner due to oil surge...serious damage will happen...

I thick your find an owner out in Japan has experienced this, then at his own cost....

As I said, I've seen the K Series in pieces, and oil surge is a serious issue on the K series engine... hence why you can get replacement sumps with baffles (some are good, some not...)

Hence why I have a baffle sump to be safe rather than have a large repair bill....

I'm not going to get into an argument about Semi / Slicks and experience... I have just been advised by those that have far more track experience than the majority on here and the caution to take.......

Mike

dan the man

Advanced Member
i have had oil surge in standard suspension, tires and wheels.

Ive also has it with road tires, baffled sump, and lowered suspension.

so for ANY serious track days where u start to get a lot out of the car id have a sump on...at least!

Sara

Advanced Member
When using semi slicks and slicks you can also get fuel surge too.

So be aware if the car cuts out mid corner check your fuel levels :roll:

Every mod on a car has a knock-on effect some where else :roll:

Duncs

i run on jap spec yoko advans(road) and they are good enough for me, the car has far more talent than i do,
oh and when it went last time out even the great Mr Schuuumaker wouldn't have caught it,
i could feel it go but nothing to be done, just keep the wheel straight and hang on,
the car survived without a scratch (airfield) but my confidence took a beating, 30 mins later i was out again

Sara

Advanced Member
Do you mean your cars rear end came round??

If you do and you just froze with the wheel straight remind me never to sit in your passenger seat on a track :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lydden here we come 19/8, Pug 205 2.1 keep watching those mirrors :xmad:

Duncs

i think in the trade its called 'lift off oversteer', cause i lifted off mid bend with lots of power on!

you would be safe with me :wink: :shock:

i have had many a passenger on track, some laugh, some just hang on, but no complaints :lol:

Sara

Advanced Member
:lol: :lol: Any one found the legendary 2nd brake pedal yet!!! :lol: :lol:

I did a rally course that used cars with dual control. That was hilarious being told to steer and correct but not having control of the pedals :shock: :lol: