Slight clunk noise

dr_jon3s

kangzy said:
interesting...

is this easy to fix and where can i find it?
*If* this is the problem then it should be relatively easy to resolve.

Jack car up - remove wheel - un-stake the hub nut if necessary - pop center cap out - replace wheel and tighten wheel nuts - lower car bak on to the ground - loosen hub nut - re-torque to correct figure - re-stake nut and finally replace ctr cap.

*If* it's the problem!

dr_jon3s

Mods - any chance of moving this thread to "DC5 Fault And Fixes"? - this is probably no longer the right board...

dr_jon3s

Well - I'm all done on this - spent 4 or 5 hrs yesterday daignosing with the help of a stethoscope.

The "click" comes from the subframe itself - and not anything connected to it (body/suspension/drivetrain components).

I can narrow it right down to the rear offside mounting point area - I've had a really good poke around and have come to the conclusion thats it's being caused by 'oil canning' of the subframe when even a small load is applied to it - I guess there must be some pre-load in the subframe from when it was manufactured - and its that than I'm hearing.

kangzy

so how do you go about fixing it?

and if let untouched? are we looking at any long term damage?

dr_jon3s

kangzy said:
so how do you go about fixing it?
Don't think you do tbh - short of sticking in a new subframe or maybe fitting a subframe brace - seems to me it's just a quirk that you have to live with.

kangzy said:
and if let untouched? are we looking at any long term damage?
Very much doubt it - thru a stethoscope (and prior to the amplification effect the driver's side footwell seems to have) the noise is very similar to the ticking you might get from a car when it's been driven hard and is cooling down (albeit MUCH quieter) - I really don't think it's anything to be concerned about. In a regular car with bulkhead sound deadening you wouldn't even be able to hear it.

kangzy

okie dokes. Cheers mate

and if the the hub nut is loose will that cause any significant long term damage if left untouched?

dr_jon3s

kangzy said:
okie dokes. Cheers mate

and if the the hub nut is loose will that cause any significant long term damage if left untouched?
Very likely bearing / spline damage in the long term - but more immediately it's dangerous in the short term - if you suspect one it loose then make sure you get it checked.

kangzy

thanks mate for all the info

with me not being a techy is there any way of diagnosing whether it is the hub nut?

dr_jon3s

I guess you could check visually by looking at the hub nuts themselves and where they are still staked against the drive shaft or whether they've rotated at all but to be honest you really want to get them checked properly using a torque wrench if you're concerned ones worked loose.

Saying that it's realy very rare for one to come loose as the fact that they are staked against the shaft should prevent it happening - more likely you'd get a problem if one had been removed and then either not torqued/staked properly.

Mine were still good and tight after 7 odd years...

subtronics

Advanced Member
So to park at my house I have to reverse each time and its up hill. Pull up, knock it into reverse, and as I am lifting the clutch up, I get a metallic clunk (very cv joint sounding but not there while cornering). Then the same happens when I set off forwards again. It also does it if I'm coming in fast to a corner, and engine braking, again just as the clutch pedal is about half way up.

subtronics

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Just sounds like pads shifting in caliper

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah, I thought that, but if I get the car in the air, I can't recreate the noise or see any movement in the pads. Surely if there was enough movement to make this clunk, I would be able to see the pads moving back and forth.

I have had a good poke around today, and all the bushes and joints are tight. Its either clutch/gearbox or subframe related.