slight drag.... :(

phozy888

Advanced Member
Rear right caliper seizing.... took both apart today and found the slide pins a little stuck... lucky not too much but I could feel the car dragging. Cleaned all pads and retainers, slide pins re lubed everything and even readjusting the hand brake too.

now was going to go for a test drive.."tik tik tik"... the fekking battery was flat FFS. Have taken it out now and on the charger.

Just before I was doing the calipers I was online reading the battery thread I had posted on .. now thats a coincidence. Think ill go buy the lotto now .Rant over! :D

phozy888

Advanced Member
quick q.... manual says hand brake should be 7-9 clicks, is that total amount the hand brake can go up fully or before the rear locks up fully ?

I think currently mine fully locks up on the 8th click but I can still pull the hand brake lever up to 11-12 clicks.

phozy888

Advanced Member
ahh help! still having issues with this and I can still feel the car holding back. I've cleaned everything and regreased the slider pins and they seem fine. The piston pushes all the way back to the caliper with ease. What else could it be ? Would wheel bearings cause drag ?

Im pretty sure the pads are not getting stuck as I've touched the discs after a long drive and there cold.

Stoo

Whining.....
What do you mean holding back?

Had a look at the fronts?

Could be poor quality fuel?
Assuming the engine is healthy.

phozy888

Advanced Member
the feeling is coming from the rear... like somethings binding and dragging. I had a feel of the rear disc when I got home from work and they were cold. So if the calipers where sticking i'd assume they be red hot and smoking. :(

The fronts also feel fine too. touched the discs and not really hot. ..... stumped.

Stoo

Whining.....
Well I'd say it wasn't your brakes.

It could be a restriction in the exhaust or intake system.

It could be bad fuel.

It could possibly be a wheel bearing but I expect you'd hear it too.

phozy888

Advanced Member
the feeling of drag deffo coming from the rear wheels..... ahh ill strip the brakes and double check again. Think this time ill extend the pistons all the way and lube it abit. if that fails guess Ill go see uncle Tom. Actually ill call him tomorrow see if he can think of anything

Stoo

Whining.....
If the brakes aren't hot after a drive, the brakes aren't binding or causing your issue.....

It's not the brakes.

It might 'feel' like its the back, but it could be engine/power related.

phozy888

Advanced Member
when I brake hard it does feel unsettled and also when turning, I guess ill find out over the weekend when I get time to look at it. Thanks stoo :)

phozy888

Advanced Member
If the brakes aren't hot after a drive, the brakes aren't binding or causing your issue.....

It's not the brakes.

It might 'feel' like its the back, but it could be engine/power related.
Stoo.... just above the gear box are 2 black hoses are they the oil return hose or something. Think one of them is leaking as I found some oil on top of the gearbox casing.

Stoo

Whining.....
Without seeing the hoses, I'd struggle to tell you.

There's a lot of hoses lol

phozy888

Advanced Member
Stoo.... just above the gear box are 2 black hoses are they the oil return hose or something. Think one of them is leaking as I found some oil on top of the gearbox casing.
All fixed... was my catch can the bottom screw was not tight enough and dripped a few drops of oil also allowing air out so not a a proper vacuum.

phozy888

Advanced Member
boo its started doing it again ... now deffo the discs are getting hot and something binding. Looks like ill be stripping them again tmrw.

am I adjusting the handbrake and resetting the callipers correctly?

loosen the HB completely and then pumped the brakes about 20-30 times.

pull the HB to 1 click and then start tightening the cable until the wheel feels slight resistance but free when HB off.

phozy888

Advanced Member
can anyone help me just to double confirm the slider pins... its the ribbed one that goes in the bottom hole right ?

phozy888

Advanced Member
Is the diameter not different? I seem to think hey only fit one way around
Nope they fit in both holes but I do remember the ribbed one should be at the bottom. Just wanted someone to double confirm with me. :)

phozy888

Advanced Member
fixed it again :) seems like the Ceratec grease is not up to the job. its kinda dry on the pin and I did lube it up quite well. off to look for another grease